bad harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester73440

Baseband Member
i recently had the following problem and talked with someone on another thread about recovering date from a hard drive(see below). well i was able to recover the data but when i formated my 2nd hard drive windows reconizes it as being a 127GB hard drive. when it is really a 500GB HD. i used partition magic to look and see if a partition was hidden but partition magic sees the HD as "bad" it is a 500GB serial-ata hard drive. device manager reconizes it as the maxtor it is

other thread

"ok i recently messed up my o/s and had to reinstall. so i went from windows 2k to having both 2k and xp pro to completely formating and putting xp home on it. well i was able to access my second hard drive with no problem until i completly formated the drive with my o/s and put xp home on here. now when i click to open the harddrive it tells me " hard drive not formatted would you like to formate?" I'm only keeping xp home on here until i find win 2k pro. but i have everything on my other hard drive anyway of saving it?"

yes it has been formatted with NTSF.

How do I check the S.M.A.R.T tables?

When I left this morning I set the computer to check for errors under the tools in the properties. is that what you are referring too?

Look for SpinRite and download it, then boot off it. You can do a few things with that, including view the S.M.A.R.T. info.

So you installed win xp home fresh right. And your hdd only shows 127GB.
Right click on my computer, open properties, does it say service pack one or Two. If it's one ( which I'm guessing it is since you did not state otherwise) there's your problem. Window's update download sp2.

i had windows xp. but i siwtched back to win2k pro. i just put win xp home on there until my copy of 2k pro came in the mail. which is what i had when i originally installed the HD

So you currently have w2k on. Alright here is some excerpts from the 127GB barrier sticky. For the short version see below. For the long go to http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/137gb-barrier-75188/.

W2K and XP users must have the latest service packs installed to access more than 137GB.
Q: Why is it called the 137gb barrier when the drive is shown as 127gb in windows?
A: 137GB refers to the metric number of bytes (as do hard drive manufacturers) in which the prefixes kilo, mega, giga etc are rounded to a multiple of 10. kilo being 1000, mega 1000000 and giga 1000000000. however computers operate in binary so the definition of these prefixes has been changed to fit the difference in numbers. for instance a kilobyte is actually 1024 bytes not 1000 bytes. therefore a megabyte is 1024x1024 and a gigabyte 1024x1024x1024 etc, binary quantities of bytes use an "i" in the suffix eg: MB vs. MiB and GB vs. GiB. so if the number 137,000,000,000 is taken (137gb) and divided by the number of bytes in 1 GiB (1,073,741,824 bytes) the number 127.59 results. hence 137GB=127GiB.

oh crap! i forgot i had to do this when I first installed the drive. thanks to anyone that replied and thanks wicked for jogging my memory. When i go home I 'am sure i'll get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom