Bad Freezing, Game Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craqa

Beta member
Ok I have had this problem the last couple weeks, has gotten worse. Basically my comp runs everything fine, but when I try to play my game (Everquest 2) i can play for 1-5 min. and then complete freeze, mouse won't move, audio loops, only way out is restart button.

I have checked the min. system requirements for EQ2 and my comp is at least double all the reqs. First of all i have EQ2 set for max performance, lowest graphic settings all around. My comp stats are as follows:

amd 2100+ xp (With TT volcano sink, rated for higher speed processor)
Gigabyte GA-7DXE
Radeon 9600
1gb ram (2x 512)
2 hdd on mobo IDE (60 gb and 120gb)
1 hdd on PCI IDE (250 gb)
430 watt Antec PSU

Now i have basically been googling my problem and read what seems like every possible solution. I have done the following:

I have most recent McAfee antivirus/spyware software and have done full scan.

I have downloaded Perfectdisk 7 and completely defragged all my drives as well as the error checking avail through windows explorer.

I have CCleaner and have actively checked/cleaned registry issues.

I have ran Memtest overnight and gotten 0 errors. I have run Prime95 which acknowledges that there is an error but of course doesn't give any more info than that.

I have tried downloading ATItool and lowering clock to lowest possible.

I have checked the voltages through my bios as well as monitoring utility and never more than 1% change from norm.

I have even installed windows on my slave (120gb) so that I could have a fresh install of windows and i installed only directx and radeon drivers and EQ2, still crashes.

I have taken the side off my case and put high powered house fan up against it on high which did solve the problem for a week or two, but now problem is back to normal .

I have mbm running with cpuidle and my avg cpu temp is 33 centi while max i've seen it go is 55.

According to ATItool i haven't seen gpu temp go above 51 centi(that's with full game load).

I have gone into hardware manager and disabled everything that is not required to play EQ2, still crash.

All my drivers are up to date as well as my bios.

The only thing that seems weird to me is that when i defrag my C: drive (60gb) if i analyze it immediately after it still suggests defrag. This would lead me to believe that something is wrong with my 60gb hdd but I would think my test with installing windows on my 120gb would have eliminated my 60gb as the culprit for my crashing(during this test all programs I ran were on the slave[120gb]).

I really can't think of anything else to try. I guess my next step would be to swap the IDE cables and use my 250gb as the master, given that it's by far the newest of my hdds i would figure it to be most reliable. and of course i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling EQ2.

Can someone help me please?!?!?

thank you in advance, any input is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom