Bad CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
As some of you may know, I have been having trouble with my old q6600 build which I came to the conclusion that the CPU is bad. It would still work, just not like it should, sometimes would not boot up and other times it would but it was real slow.

Well today, I got my old Dell Dimension 9100 back from my sister. Since it is a 775 LGA socket, I decided to try the q6600 in the Dell to make sure it was the cpu that was causing problems. Well, I got it installed and I hit the power button and nothing happens, doesn't even try to come on. I had it on with the original CPU installed and started up fine. The original CPU is a Intel Pentium D@2.8ghz.

Even if the CPU is bad, shouldn't it still come on? Could it be because it is a different CPU than what came with the computer? Could it be the heatsink is installed wrong? But I still figured it would at least try to come on.

With the Pentium D installed, it will start up and run but keeps restarting on me. It doesn't shut down, just restarts. I thought maybe heat was the issue since HWMonitor shows the HDD temps close to 50 degrees. I have no idea what the CPU temp is since HWMonitor does not show anything else but the HDD temps. But if it was heat, wouldn't it shut down instead of restart?

Your post somewhat confuses me, at first you say the Q6600 doesn't work in either PC, then you say the Pentium D doesn't work, that the PC just restarts over and over....

Firstly, the cmos might need to be reset for the bios to require the new cpu, i doubt it was a quad.
2, theres a good possibility that the dell can't even use a quad.
Just cause its a 775, doesn't mean it can work. My high end 680i a1 rev, can't use the 45nm quads, yet they are 775 chips.

Food for thought.

Did you properly reapply the TIM? BIOS will also tell temp.

Ok, let me try to clear this up. The q6600 works sometimes in the original build. Half the time it will boot up and you can use it just like normal but when I try to transfer files between two hard drives, the speeds are extremely slow. The other half, it will not boot up at all until I switch the sata connector and then it would fine for a while.

Now when I tried to install the q6600 in the Dell Dimension 9100, it will not start up at all. No lights come on or nothing.

With the original Pentium D installed it would start up fine but will restart after several minutes or so with a message saying this system has recovered from a serious error. I suspected heat might be an issue but I figured it would shut down.

Patonb, how do I find out if it can use a quad? Yes I did reapply TIM and I did not see anywhere in the bios that showed the temp unless I just overlooked it.

There is something else wrong. I put the Pentium D back in and I still get nothing when I hit the power button. Could I have done something to it by installing the q6600?

I have reset the cmos and hit the power button with it unplugged. I have not pulled the battery yet.

I did read through that and didn't find anything useful.

EDIT: I just pulled the battery and didn't help.

I might try a different PSU. I have an OCZ 700 watt GameXtreme PSU, would that work in the Dell?

It'll work.. maybe you did pop the psu.

Also check you didn't bend the socket pins.. though it should have atleast powsered abit..... Hmm, have you ensured you didnt unplg somedthing by accifdent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom