Bad CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubbleet

Daemon Poster
Well recently I put new mobo/ram/CPU/heatsink in my comp (signature). I haven't been able to get a stable oc no matter what. So I decided to go back to stock everything and found out the CPU can't even pass burn test at stock... I ran memtest86+ 7 passes 0 errors. I'm wondering what else is left to do. I've tried a billion combos of voltages and settings etc. And can't even get far in burn test. Always fails 2-5 in. Temps never get too hot either. Any suggestions? Btw I've also tried looser ram timings and no better :/.

Excuse any typos etc. Posting from my phone nets down for some odd reason -.-"

Update the BIOS on your mobo to the latest version first, then try the burn in test again. Problems like these are what BIOS updates are for ;)

Of course it could also be that your cpu is bad, but the i7s go through some pretty tough testing by Intel before being shipped. So while it's possible, it's not very likely.

^+1. did that when my mobo started freaking out. flashed it to newest bios and poof, problem gone :)

A new BIOS came out the day after I updated D:. But I got the latest one and still failed really early into burn test. I'm starting to think my CPU is done for :(. But it's still within 30 days of buying so I can return to MC for an exchange, but would like to rule everything else out before I have to do that.

At this point I'd just return the chip. I'd suggest emailing them first, say it's failing under load when you run the test. I'd also suggest trying more than one program, e.g. give Prime95 and LinX a spin too. Then include that you've tried multiple stress-test program (name them) and all failed.

Well since I bought it in person, don't really think I need to email them. I go back to Houston soon and I'll just exchange it then. Seems like it falls within the return policy.

Non-returnable and non-refundable items
Special buy or clearance items are not returnable unless otherwise indicated on the label attached to the product. Service parts, motherboards and processors may only be exchanged, and only if defective, within 30 days of purchase if in "like-new" condition. Labor, installation services and any shipping charges are non-refundable.

It's within 30 days. It's defective.

All I have to do is take the CPU out, clean the thermal paste off and pop it back in the box. Bam "like new".

Yeah but they'll want 'proof' that it's defective. And most places really won't want to give out another cpu, so they'll try a lot to say 'nawww, looks like it's working to me...'

or that's what happens imo anyway for problems like that. Problems which aren't straight out 'broken' kinda problems.

i dunno. i went to frys when my tx750 died and they would have replaced right then and then but they didnt have any more. all i had to tell them was that it stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom