backing up data - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default backing up data

how and why do you back up data?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

so if yuor hdd dies or you accidentally reformat you can save it LOL

get an external hdd, or put them on cds

AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

how do you accidently reformat?

Best way to find out why to back up your data, buy a maxtor, and use it to store your music on, or any media type.... let it do its thing and put millions of errors in your files and ruin hours or days of work. Store some home videos on it too, so you can lose irreplacable data too.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

ohh my bad I forgot to answer how, you backup data on cd, dvd, secondary harddrives, raid solutions(2 hd's as 1), tape backup, there's mor I'm sure.

Most used is cd/dvd, requires a cd or dvd burner, and inexpesive writable disks. Programs would vary depending on what you want to back up.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I backup my stuff to DVD's. Why I back them up is so I don't have to worry about losing years of family photos. I also have or HAD videos of recorded TV shows, but they where always to big and took too long to put on discs and keep updated with new episodes. So I lost them recently when my HD failed. Bleh...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i backup using linux live-cd's. no fancy software for me. i just make a folder called backup, boot into my live-cd, mount my windows partition and copy all important data into the backup folder. that way i avoid all the stupid windows errors about "protected files" or "file in use". then i just burn the contents of that folder to dvd-rom.

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Closed Thread