Back to onboard graphics, PCI card died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SageD

Solid State Member
Hey guys, just registered to this site - looks like a safe please to find some help without all the ads. Anyway, I just woke up today to discover my monitor black - I don't turn off my cpu when I'm done, maybe I should start doing that tho.. I rebooted the cpu and it wouldn't display anything, just black.. I opened up my case and looked inside - every fan was running, everything sounded and looked okay.

I tried discharging my computer by holding in the power button with the power cord out but my friend said that wouldn't have helped anyway because I have an on-board graphics card.

I tried everything, I don't have another PCI graphics card or I would have tried it to see if my PCI slot was damaged.. I don't think its my mothers board I believe its the graphics card I hope.

Lets get specific:

COMPAQ CQ5110F PC

3GB memory
AMD Athlon X2 7550 Dual-Core Processor
Vista home
320GB HD
300 WAT Power supply
Very basic mobo..

source - Compaq Presario CQ5110f Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Now this was purchased for me and if I had the money I'd build my own machine so I'm working with what I've got.

Back on subject now, I need to know if my PCI slot is damaged here's a pic of my device manager, it seems to show up I believe so if it shows up it must be okay and my pci video card was the problem.

Here's screen shot of my device manager, Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/htdevicemanagerzj

Also, I the PCI video card that went bad is a Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB card, it has a built in fan. People have told me its 3-4 years old but its good enough to run games like Oblivion, WoW, and SC2 at decent frame rates.

Now is their anyway I can repair this card? I picked it up at my friends house about 4 months ago, it was under his bed still in the case he replaced it as soon as he got a new computer so it really hasn't seen much use..

One thing is, I didn't add a power supply cable to video card until really a week ago.. Then this happens, and yes I've been running the cpu pretty hard without turning it off and with vast hours of gaming without a power supply cable connected to it - is that why its not working?

If there's anyway I can fix it - or if anyone else has had problems like this and found a solution please let me know I'm not lazy I've always had to fix the tech problems in my family.

Hold on. You have a nVidia GeForce 6150 SE on your computer, that is a motherboard graphic, so you have onboard video. There is no pci card.

Your graphics shouldn't have worked without the power cord... Did you connect the power cable when the computer was on? You could have shocked it.

Firstly he means pci-e... secondly he said he added the 8600gts....

Now, the 8600gts is at the edge of the power regions, so it 97% of the time it won't need the pci-e, and can be used without it. But for max usage you will want it.

Try running the computer with the onboard gpu... this will let you know if it atleast still boots.

I also suspect it could be lack of power... your systems getting older, and the addition gpu power might have finished off your psu.

Firstly he means pci-e... secondly he said he added the 8600gts....

Now, the 8600gts is at the edge of the power regions, so it 97% of the time it won't need the pci-e, and can be used without it. But for max usage you will want it.

Try running the computer with the onboard gpu... this will let you know if it atleast still boots.

I also suspect it could be lack of power... your systems getting older, and the addition gpu power might have finished off your psu.

Alright, I'm using the same cpu to post this response the on board works perfectly, I bought a can of compressed air to clean the graphics card and cpu and still no help. I just can't see how this happened out of the blue.

So the onboard graphic card works fine - very bad quality but okay.

My mobo only has one PCI slot and I don't think its my motherboad or pci-e slot. Its the card, or my its not getting enough power which confuses me because..

Back when I first got the card I never bought a power cable for my graphics card because I didn't know it needed one. My computer fan was always running very hard when I played games it wasn't until a week ago until a friend suggested I buy a 6-pin power cable attachment. So I did, then when I went to play WoW this morning it seems my computer crashed when I was sleeping and wouldn't display anything, when I plug the monitor into the onboard graphics port it displays everything fine.

I don't think adding the power cable had anything to do with it, I had been using the card without it receiving enough energy to display max details..

Again, I always brace myself when I open my computer, always make sure the power cable is unplugged..

If there is anything you guys need me to do - like, take pictures, run logs anything just name it I can follow directions and help provide you any information to help you help me.

I really don't want to invest in a new pci-e card if its not going to work, then have to fool with shipping it back to the company..

Again, I have a 300 wat power supply is that sufficient enough to run a 8600 GTS graphics card, it has for 4 months whats the problem?

When I start my computer up with the pci-e video card in, it revs up 4-5 times then quiets down with no display..

I still think its your psu. 300W is just eough at best, and the added draw from the pci-e card power knocked it down to below what it needs.

I suggest trying the gpu in another system to see if its dead for sure.

Alright, I guess im trying my pci-e card in another machine to see if it works.

Edit: Err, none of my other out dated machines have a pci x16 slot...

IS there anyway I can test my machine to see whats wrong?

Possible problems:

- Pci slot on mobo damaged.
- Graphics card died.
- PSU not good enough.

I'm thinking now that my psu is low, patonb if I discover the card isn't dead what psu unit would you suggest? 400W or 500W?

dont do it. you dont even know if thats the problem with the card your jumpin to fast you gotta take time and go threw all the options.

otherwise you could end up ruining something that works perfectly fine. because you haven't even gone threw all possibility's yet

dont do it. you dont even know if thats the problem with the card your jumpin to fast you gotta take time and go threw all the options.

otherwise you could end up ruining something that works perfectly fine. because you haven't even gone threw all possibility's yet
I did it, and it worked!!!!

Installed drivers, and Im back to gaming!

took off the cooling fan, all screws, and placed it in the oven on 375 degrees on bake. Working like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom