Auto-detecting Secondary Master (System hangs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello All, I'm running the system in my signature. I have a SATA 2 connected to the SATA 2 port, and a Lite-on DVDRW connected to IDE. The Lite-on drive is about a week old. Anyway, turned off my PC last night and when I got up today I was getting "Auto-detecting Secondary Master" message and the system was hanging. I couldn't even access the BIOS. When I disconnect the Lite-on drive the PC booted fine into XP.

I purchased the Lite-on DVDRW from NewEgg and had it less then a week. It was OEM and didn't come with ANY instructions. I have it setup as "Cable Select" via the jumper.

It seems like the drive is still getting power and I'm guessing it might not be dead, but does anyone have any idea from the info provided in how I should set it up?

This is a new system build and I didn't change a thing before I went to bed, but I'm guessing the DVD drive needs the jumper changed or something. Anyone have any ideas?

did you update the drives firmware just before it happened? maybe it didnt went well or you used the incorrect firmware (of another drive) , i can give you instructions on how to revive it if thats the case

try it as master

might be your psu , what psu is it exactly? brand/model , i suggest youll measure the voltages with a digital multimeter and report back (while the drive is connected of course) have a look at these guides
http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/
http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

Ah, I was afraid my power supply could be a problem and now that you mention it, I just hooked up my 7900GT yesterday. I checked voltages in the BIOS and everything looked good, but I didn't use any programs to measure voltages.

I'm using a RoseWill 450Watt PS.

I'll go check those guides out.

I gave the DVD drive it's own power dongle. I did have it sharing one with my HDD. I also plugged it into Secondary IDE and set it as Master. (not cable select) I'll see if this works, if not, I already ordered a new PSU so I'll be good soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom