Audio through HDMI problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Audio through HDMI problem

So I need some help... I am building a smaller machine to run as a TV interface. the Specs are as follows:

Core 2 quad Q8200 2.33GHz
Asus P5Q Pro mobo
Radeon HD 3650
4 gigs DDR2 800

its a pretty basic machine made out of some older parts and what not.
Some of these parts were in a dedicated TV machine at one point in time but it died a horrible processor failure death.

I have everything built up in the system and up and running flawlessly with windows 7 64bit ultimate. The problem I am running into now is that I cannot get the audio to come through my HDMI to the TV.
I have it running into the DVI/HDMI input on a 37" Samsung LCD TV.

I know that the HDMI cable and the TV both support audio through cable as I've done it with my laptop and the previous computer that was on the TV using the same graphics card. Originally I was using a cable that connected the right and left inputs of audio to the S/Pdif output on the motherboard.

that doesn't seem to be working for me at this point in time.

I've gotten the latest drivers from ATI and its a no-go. The 3650 was made by MSI and everything that I have read is that it is supposed to support HDMI audio.

the real kick that I am running into is that the TV doesn't want to accept any audio even the dual RCA that I ran direct from the speaker output into the TV input for the DVI/HDMI channel.

I've tried everything in windows that I know how to do, I set the computer's audio to HDMI and it has signal when I watch it in the VU meter on that channel. I tried the S/Pdiff out and same, also the speaker outs too. Could it have something to do with realtek?

this one has me stumped... *as it does almost every time I mess with it.*

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Audio through HDMI problem

one more important thing, I am not using a DVI-HDMI "dongle" converter, its actually through a proper HDMI output.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

In your Sound settings, Set your output to your GFX HDMI adapter, not to your onboard sound.

You chose that top one?
__________________ Steam Account
Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

in my sound settings I get 4 options, for playback devices; Headphones, Speakers, S/P-Dif, and HDMI output. its not like my desktop where it give me the option to run through my 5770. Thats what really has me puzzled.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica

If it has HDMI output, select that as default then...
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Closed Thread