audio device dead??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aricav05

Baseband Member
good day, i hope someone will be able to help me fix the problem with my onboard sound card.

i installed windows XP SP2 on a new hard drive i bought and moved everything to a new chassis. After the installation i found out that there was no sound when i play a music file.
Therefore i switched back to my old hdd with windows XP, which could play audio files fine the last time i checked (right before installing windows XP), but there was no sound either.

I then updated the driver for the sound card by downloading it off of the mobo manufacturer's site but it fixed nothing. The only update i have not gotten is the newest windows security updates (I cannot go online with that computer because the ADSL password is currently not in my possession). Hardware manager shows that there is nothing wrong with the audio devices, troubleshooting fixed nothing, and there are no conflicting hardware.

does that mean that the onboard sound card somehow broke during the installation process because there is certainly no excuse for it to suddenly go mute.

Thanks in advance for the replies =D

Did you make sure to only use the brass standoffs that lined up with motherboard holes? Perhaps one is shorting something out.

On board sound can be affected by tons of things, you should just buy a cheapie sound card.

umm well, i used the cover thing that came with the mobo for the back cover, it worked fine on the old chassis. I also tried plugging the speakers into the front audio port without success.

i guess i will consider buying a sound card.

however, not finding out the reason for having no sound still ticks me off =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom