Audio Clipping, Possible IRQ Conflict, etc... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Audio Clipping, Possible IRQ Conflict, etc...

Please first see my specs...

Pentium 4, 3GHz
Windows XP
Audiophile 24/96 Soundcard

Sometimes, when I listen to Windows Media Player, QuickTime,, etc...or writing music, the audio on my computer sort of skips/clicks/clips. As if the processor cannot handle the audio. It may happen if I'm trying to do two things at opening Microsoft Word at the same time I'm listening to a track.

I really want to fix this problem. It's been bothering me for a long time now.

I understand some possible problems are an IRQ conflict...or perhaps something is downloading behind the scenes. Another that I should just dedicate my soundcard for computer music applications, rather than let Windows use the soundcard to play audio.

I've also altered Windows settings for music production.

If you're a bit more computer savvy than I, below is a link showing my current IRQ setup. A red box surrounds the IRQ my soundcard is on. It is not alone on IRQ 19. Maybe you might suggest putting it on its own IRQ.

I really appreciate any help in the matter!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Is this a PCI card? Then try switching it to another slow. You might also consider taking out that PCI modem/fax or disabling it. Also update your entire hardware driver especially the hard drive in device manager.
Closed Thread