attempting to format my c drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default attempting to format my c drive

have been attempting to format my c drive of my laptop. I have removed many programs including Norton anti virus and zone alarm. Everytime I go to my computer and then c drive and attempt to format this drive, this is what I get: Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are currently using this drive and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

I have XP home and I will be giving this computer away to a friend. I will be receiving XP professional to put on this computer.

Does anyone have a solution on how I can format this hard drive??

Old 08-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

install the new OS and format it when you start the install. If that is the only drive you cannot format due to the OS being on it already! it's safety thing built into the OS.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

...yep.

Also to explain, the reason why you can't format the partition with Windows OS on is because you're currently booted into that partition.

For example as an analogy, you can't swap a car's gearbox when you're driving the car...( gudnuff analogy?)

If you are trying to re-install Windows on a partition which already has Windows on, then format that Windows partition by booting into the Windows XP Setup Disc, entering the Recovery Console, logging in, and typing format x: then hit enter (where x: is the partition in question with the OS installed). Following that, restart the PC, boot back into the Windows XP Setup Disc and choose to install Windows.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin.C
...yep.

Also to explain, the reason why you can't format the partition with Windows OS on is because you're currently booted into that partition.

For example as an analogy, you can't swap a car's gearbox when you're driving the car...( gudnuff analogy?)

If you are trying to re-install Windows on a partition which already has Windows on, then format that Windows partition by booting into the Windows XP Setup Disc, entering the Recovery Console, logging in, and typing format x: then hit enter (where x: is the partition in question with the OS installed). Following that, restart the PC, boot back into the Windows XP Setup Disc and choose to install Windows.
Yes, you have to boot from/load up from your Windows Xp cd...

You can format your hard drive as part of the Windows installation process. If your computer is only a few years old and can boot from the CD-Rom drive, simply turn off your computer, insert your Windows CD into the CD-Rom drive, and restart your computer (if the Windows setup does not begin, check your BIOS settings to make sure your computer is configured to try and boot from a CD).

During the setup process, you will have the option of formatting your hard drive; choose that option to erase your damaged/hacked Windows installation, and proceed with the reinstall.

Once Windows is reinstalled, you will have to reinstall your other programs individually from your original install disks.

Unless you have backup you will lose all your data/programs...

good luck...
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
Closed Thread