ATI Radeon X1950XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Just upgraded from a XFX 6800GT 128Mb AGP to a Gecube X1950XT 256Mb AGP, And a NEW Hiper 580Watt PSU. The first time I turned on PC I Blew the Old PSU hence the NEW one. BUT I have found major problems running games at the moment?
I have tried running GTR2 / GTR / F1 2002 / Armed Assault ect. I could run OK before but after putting in New card every time they start the computer either freezes or crashes once they get into the graphic section of the game. I have all power connectors together and updated Catalyst drivers.
Not sure if I can but will try to add the CCC file and DX-Diag file for anyone interested.

Regards,
Shaun.

Try downloading a graphic-intensive benchmark, like one of the 3Dmarks. If it crashes during those, the card might be defective.

My guess is that there is a driver conflict between your old NVidia card drivers, and the new ATI CCC drivers... Were the old drivers properly un-installed prior to installing the new hardware?? There are some posts on the boards that reference good software to clean up the old drivers when switching GPU vendors, but none come to mind right now, as I haven't ever needed them....

Hi,
Thanks for the reply's.

The Nvidia drivers were uninstalled through Add-Remove in Control Panel.
With regards the card being U/S It's already been RMA'd and came back OK. They just said that it would be a good Idea to get a better PSU than the Generic 600Watt I had. Hence buying the Hiper 580Watt.

I've been looking through the Event Viewer and seen a number of errors though regarding,

ATI2MTAG / ATI2DVAG Driver issues.
.NET2.0 Problems
and ASP.NET problems.
Here's the text's from the event viewer:

The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates

Application Failure gtr2.exe 1.1.0.0 in ntdll.dll 5.1.2 at offs

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error

Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.

Just can't understand WHY the Nvidia XFX 6800GT works.
The driver disk that came with the card installed an update to Net 2.0 and the catalyst driver BUT, I had problems changing the setting from Balanced/Quality or Performance. The PC just kept hanging even when I don Ctrl/Alt/Del. The driver disk had 8.321A on it, and then I downloaded version 8.342 and could then alter all settings in CCC without a problem. BUT Now I can't play my games, unless it's something like Football Manager 2007 or The Movies, anything like a driving game it crashes as soon as you start from the pits/start line.

The other major problem is that I'm not conected to the Web, can't get it in the sticks and I live too far from exchange! BUT will be going to Dads at weekend so any advice about Updating things would be appriciated :) as I'm hopping its a driver issue either with ATI or Windows itself?

Hope this helps a bit more?

Thxs, Shaun.

little bit confused by the 2nd to last paragraph... you mention a 6800GT, saying it came with Catalyst driver?..... and CCC trouble in 8.342 driver.... I know that the current ATI CCC driver is 7.3, and CCC (Catalyst Control Center) is only for ATI cards.....

Sorry,
I've been swapping cards and reinstalling the correct drivers for each, each time I swap.

I was pointing out that the XFX Card works fine with the Nvidia drivers, so WHY isn't my ATI card running on the ATI CCC Driver 7.4
The ref: 8.321A & 8.342 are shown in the info bar in CCC before the 7.1/7.2 etc.

Hope that clears things up?

Shaun.

Hi,
Just reinstalled everything onto a new Hard drive.
Now I can get the games working, for around a lap or two before the screen goes blank BUT the sound carrys on :( Sometimes it comes back on after 2-3mins other times the screen stays Blank (as if the monitor has gone to standby after being left for 30Mins). Thats with the 7.4 Catalyst driver and that was all I put onto the new HDD/Win XP install.

Really confuised about it now. Still think it's a Software issue (drivers) and NOT a Hardware problem BUT thought I'd have cracked it with the new Install. I then done the same with the XFX Nvidia card (New Install on New HDD with 93.74 Driver for Nvidia) and again, all is well with this card.

Hopping to speak to someone at Gecube, who make the ATI X1950XTX card that I have and hopping they have an answer :(

Thxs,
Shaun.

When swapping between video cards, the best tool to use is DriverCleaner. Removing the drivers and software through add/remove programs does not remove every instance of the old nvidia software.

I saw that you installed everything on a new hard drive. Instead of going with the latest drivers off the internet, you could try installing the ATI drivers that came on the cd with the card. The manufacture will release the card with working drivers.

"you could try installing the ATI drivers that came on the cd with the card"

I have tried installling the drivers on The Original CD and had problems adjusting the settings in the Performance/Quality. The System also seems to run VERY VERY Sloooow, as though I'm running 256Mb RAM instead of 1GB. This was NOT acceptable to me so then managed to get the 7.1 Drivers. Once these were installed everything seemed fine untill I played GTR2. Have now managed to get the 7.4 Drivers and have NOW got to my dads so going to get the PC onto the NET and get every driver I can think of from Gecube/Ati & Windows.
I was Hopping that someone would be able to point me in the direction of which Downloads I'd have needed though. It seems strange that I've never had a problem with any of my Nvidia Cards but this is the first ATI card I've owned. The reason I went for this card though was because it's supposedly the best AGP card out there and beats all the Nvidia AGP cards at present.

I'll try and get the "DriverCleaner" tool though, BUT tried to get away with not using one through doing new installs on the New HDD's.

Thanks again,
Shaun.
:cool: (Sorry son wanted to add this smilie)

Do you have a motherboard with a nvidia chipset? It could be possible that these drivers are causing a problem with the ATI card. Its unlikely, but a possibility.

Also you said that this new ATI card blew your previous power supply. It might have damaged something else in your computer, like the pcie slot or motherboard. But that wouldnt make much sense that the old card still works. Do you have enough amps from the PSU for the new more powerful card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom