ATI Radeon Displayport problem

Jewelspoint

Baseband Member
I bought three new ASUS monitors for eyefinity with my Radeon HD 5870 card.

If I boot the pc (or even bring it out of sleep mode) with the displayport plugged in, the video card fan ramps up to 100% and none of my displays work, forcing me to do a hard reset. It repeats this until I unplug the displayport cord, boot up the pc, then reconnect the cord once the pc is up. Then it all runs fine!

To make it even stranger, the monitor that the displayport cord is plugged into during the boot, gets killed for about 10 mins. Non-responsive. I unplug it, plug it back in, press all the buttons, there's no response or light for about 10 mins, then it goes back to working normally. I've tried it on all three of my brand new ASUS monitors, all three with the same exact results. I've googled this problem and it seems a few have the same problem, but I couldn't find any solutions. Any thoughts?

To make the problem worse, sometimes (rarely) the problem seems to happen during gameplay or if I click the input display on that monitor (however, this time without the 100% fan blazing) forcing me to unplug the displayport, exit the game, and wait 10 mins for the third monitor to come back to life before I can use it.

Things I've ruled out:
It can't be a driver issue, as it doesn't even get to the bios screen.
It can't be the monitor, as it has the same results on all 3 monitors.

Anyone heard of this problem, or have any idea how to fix it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Do you think switching to a Displayport to DVI adaptor would fix it? Thanks for your time!

The build:

GPU: Radeon HD 5870
CPU: Intel I7 920 quadcore
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Power supply: 1200w corsair
Ram: 16gb corsair DDR3

Well, are you sure the backlight is fine on the LCD's? Use a flashlight, and put it at a 45* angle. Can you see the desktop on it?

Do you have the latest drivers? Could be a driver issue.

It could be the monitors still, but unlikely. Driver issue or power management issue is more likely though. Have you checked event viewer for errors or warnings occuring around that time?

If it's doing it on boot (before Windows loads) it's not a driver issue..

It wouldn't hurt trying a Displayport to DVI. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying to RMA the card; could be buggy displayport or vBIOS.

Have you tried updating your motherboard's BIOS, as well?

I'm an avid gamer so I keep my card up to date. Updating the BIOS though, I haven't ever done that, I will give it a shot and let you guys know. As for RMA'ing the card I can't at this point I've had it since 09, but yes it might just be a faulty card after all. As for checking the events viewer, how do I do that? I'll Google it and see if that rabbit trail leads me anywhere :)

I know there's not a lot of info to work with, so thanks for the tips!

If it's doing it on boot (before Windows loads) it's not a driver issue..

It wouldn't hurt trying a Displayport to DVI. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying to RMA the card; could be buggy displayport or vBIOS.

Have you tried updating your motherboard's BIOS, as well?

Usually upon reboots RAM clears of data, but if he has this issue during a reboot, there is a likely chance that for some reason, that some data is still in the RAM, or the crash is bad enough it could actually screw up the reboot. Very rare, but it does happen, and has happened to me once or twice in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom