ati graphics card re-install

Status
Not open for further replies.

virusxman

Beta member
I had an ATI radeon x1300 graphics card i got a long while ago. My brother helped me install it and after like an hour we got it working and everything was fine. Now i had to get a new harddrive cause my old one fried, but now my graphics card wont re-install, and i cant even run 32bit graphic diagnostics from my resource cd, it keeps saying im missing optical media or something, dunno if thats the problem. the fan turns on when i put it in but thats it. btw im using windows xp sp 2 and i have a dell.

I tried installing it the same way my brother did. I put the cd in and installed w/e i could then i shut down my comp and put the graphics card in, turned on my comp and installed from the cd. then i went to my device manager and turned off my onboard graphics card and restarted my comp. I went to setup at startup and turned off the automatic onboard and then i put the power cord(the blue one lol) into my grapics card... buttttt i just get a black screen thats all. The only thing i can think of is the new harddrive doesnt have soemthing i need for installing a new graphics card like that optical media stuff.

Im not sure though thats why im here asking. HELP PLEASE

Besides the bios look in the device manager for the item there and right click on it to select the disable option. You download the latest update for the X1300 model right from the support site to see the latest Catlayst version and drivers installed.

The latest Catalyst 8.3 version 44.2mb download for that model is available at AMD GAME Drivers And Utilities

The second item seen there is for the drivers only is the 14.1mb driver set. You simply download the update and save it in a folder. The installer for the Catalyst(preferred) will create a new ATI folder in case you have to reinstall the update at some other time you simply run the setup.exe file again.

Don't know which mobo you have, but check to see if there is an option for how much RAM is allotted for graphics. If you find it, set it to zero, as the mobo thinks it should still use the onboard if it has RAM assigned.

If you still have the onboard going, go into Device Manager and make sure the card is showing up at all. It could just be that it is not seated good. It wouldn't hurt to pull it out and re-seat it, just in case.

Is that an AGP or PCI-Express model card there? I know the X1300s saw both types.

What Trotter is referring to there would be the AGP aperature often seen at the 64mb default. You increase that to see more system memory shared for things like additional help with processing graphical textures.

Other then that it is rather redundant at this point since the newer PCI-E 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 16x cards see larger amounts of onboard memory and larger vpu processing capability. Gamers often saw that increased on old builds.

It won't hurt to reseat the memory and sound card if installed along with the video card itself in case something else is found raised up in a slot while you are in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom