ATI gfx card in nforce4 mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
I asked this in another section and didnt get a good answer, i suppose this is the correct forum to ask.

I just got an ati 1950xt to replace my fried 7900GT. when i installed the ati card, the fan starts working, but there is no video output at all. the screen doesnt come out of power save mode. the fan on the ati card is working and the card gets rather warm.

im not sure what is going on here. after i turn it on, in order to turn it off i have to push the power button for 5 seconds, so i think something is working. is the pci x16 slot fried? do i need a new mobo? or is it a compatability issue?

i figured my computer would start up and i would need to remove old and install new drivers.

on a related note, can i use an ATI card in an nForce4 (nvidia) motherboard?

Its definitely not a compatibility issue, I think the Board's PCI-e slot may have gotten fried with the 7900gt

good to know its not compatability... i've been trying to find a cheap replacement but no luck so far

Seems like a silly question but you did remember to connect the PCI-E 6-Pin power right?

Try craigslist for a S939 board. Post that you want one. I did in Toronto a couple months ago and got 10 replies within the hour. Make sure to add that you want a WORKING one :p.

yeah i hooked up the power.
not much luck on craigslist, and i live in OC/LA
these s939's are hard to come by.
i'm tempted to just grab a c2d mobo/memory/cpu combo off craigs list for like 200 rather than a s939 mobo off ebay for 50

Oh god.. not another Intel user! :p

I think you can get one yourself for less

Seems odd that no one would answer on craigs. I thought OC had a fairly large population? Not the size of TO but still.

Just go for the C2D combo. Only to annoy vern :p.

how many pcie slots do you have? try it in another one if possible.
also, check your cables and make sure they are secure on both ends. if you have another monitor cable, try that. i had a monitor cable go bad on me and i had no video...it drove me crazy trying to find the problem...thought it was the card, mobo, ram you name it.
i'd go with the 46.00 asus S939 mobo on ebay. its OEM, but you obviously have all the right cables. and it has its backplate. and its new.
Asus A8S-X Socket 939 Motherboard for AMD w/PCI-Express - eBay (item 310080322314 end time Sep-07-08 09:58:23 PDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom