athlon2000 running below spec 1.65mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

wielder

Beta member
Hi all

I've done some searching on forums, and it seems this is a fairly common problem, but the solution offered only has limited success.

My athlon2000 runs at 1.26mhz instead of 1.65mhz, and the advice is to change the FSB to 133 from the 100 it runs at. If i do this i do indeed get the 1.65 i should, but then if i try to play a game my monitor blacks out? The computer is still running properly as i can hear the audio for the game running ok, i just have no monitor.

Other specs -

Gigabyte GA-7DXE mobo
Asus 5200fx 128mb g/c
768mb ram (1x256mb 2100, 1x512mb 2700)

I do wonder if the fact i have two types of ram figures in the problem, as CPU-Z shows the 2100 ram with 100/133 frequency and the 2700 ram with 100/166 frequency?

you probably shouldn't be running with two different ram speeds, that's gotta be costing you some performance. also, make sure your pci/agp speeds are locked in and not overclocked with the rest of your system.

.........if his FSB is below what it should be...then his AGP/PCI will automatically be locked until he goes above 133 which is supposed to be default for his system.

133 is PC2100 speeds so mixing in that RAM technically shouldn't be a problem...the faster running one would simply downclock to match the other.

Of course the easiest way to test the RAM is just pull one of them out and see if your system works.

both RAM will run at the same speed, it's impossible for one to run differently than the other in the same system....make sure in your BIOS the RAM speed is set to 133 like your CPU, or possibly the option 'By SPD'

need to take out that 256mb and see if the comp works...if it does then you know not to put that in there

same as the other guy your FSB needs to be 133...I had a 2400+ XP in the past and before I knew about computers the same thing troubled me.

Hi all, think i got it sussed (sort of).

Downloaded my m/b manual and it only supports up to 2100 (133mhz) ram. Although it recognises and uses the 2700 (166mhz) ram, it only can do it with the FSB set to 100. Setting it higher creates a problem somehow with the graphics card. Not too certain how this is, but i guess its my fault for having an ancient mobo :(

Did a test by taking out the 2700 ram and setting the FSB to 133 and it ran fine. Then i tried the 2700 ram with some 2100 ram in another computer with better mobo (supports up to 3200ram) and that had no problems either. Will try Nubius' idea of using the 2700 on its own just to confirm.

Thanks

Ok, final solution.

Found a switch on my mobo for the system bus speed, which was set to 100mhz by default. Changed this to 133mhz, went back to bios and saw that the core clock speed was up to 133 too. This gave me the full 1.65Ghz on the processor without losing the monitor when i start a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom