Athlon-XP Dead? Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

navilein

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I have an athlon-xp 1500+ that gives me more trouble than any compy ever did to me!

It was overheating. I cleaned the dust from the radiator. Now the CPU temp stays around 50 C. That seems ok to me.

Yet, it keeps freezing! I've tried to install Win2k/XP on it, and there is no way to finish the installation because it freezes on the way.

I tried to install Linux, and it does the same. I took the hdd to another compy, i installed gentoo on it (the hdd went without a problem to the other compy), and brought the hdd back. There is no way it will ever compile the kernel on the athlon. Yet, it runs without problems just let by itself, without much task to do.

I tried to attach it a hdd with an windows 95, old, and ancient. With this one it has no problem at all. It runs without a fail.

Any idea?

I thought the memory could be the issue, but I've checked it with memtest86 and did not find any error. It has 128MB and this should be enough for either Win/Linux.

The motherboard is a Matsonic MS8303EP(266).

Any help would be highly appreciated! It really drives me crazy! And I need this compy...

Thanks!

I do have a heat sink with a fan on top of it. The proc (whenever I look in BIOS stats) shows at most 50C. Yet it freezes even at boot time.
Before, it was overheating (70C) because of a layer of dust underneath the fan. That's gone now. Any remaining efects from that temperature before?

I've also reset the BIOS (just in case).

I don't have AS5 on it, but this would lower the temp only by 1-2 degrees Celsius.

I'll get that AS5; I suspect however is not this the issue.

The info from the BIOS/Monitoring Hardware says that:

CPU Temperature 47C/116F
System Temperature 33C/91F
CPU Fan speed 3750RPM
Vcore 1.728V
Vcc2.5V 2.480V
Vcc3.3V 3.264V
Vcc5.0V 4.972V
+12V 12.416V
-12V -11.393V
SB3V 3.408V
SB5V 4.972V
Voltage Battery 3.408V

i looked for bad capacitors; everything seems ok. nothing leaked, nothing exploded.

thanks for your input!

even so it doesnt rule out the mobo although it does make the chances somewhat lower , in alot of similar cases its the psu and as i alredy mentioned some mobo sensors are way off so i highly recommend youll get a digital multimeter and follow the guides^ and report back with the voltages , you welcome ;)

I've mesured teh psu and here is what i've got:

yellow wire: 12.49V
red wire: 5.14V
violet wire: 5.05V
grey wire: 4.46V
orange wire: 3.33V
white wire: 4.98V
green wire: 0.01V
blue wire: -11.78V

Are these ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.