Athlon 64 x2 6000+ problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Athlon 64 x2 6000+ problem

Hey everyone, I recently bought a used athlon 64 x2 6000+ windsor off of ebay. Seller had several thousand sales and 100% rating so I figured it was a good buy. Well I had a am2 motherboard at the time that was running a 3800 64 x2. Anyway I got the processor into the motherboard (it's socket am2 btw) and reinstalled windows because of the upgrade and every time I clicked on something it seemed blotchy parts of the screen would go black and when I opened up IE it might only show half the page and the rest be completely white. Well through some research I found where the processor was rated for 1.4-1.5 volts, well that motherboard only put out 1.4 at max so I bought another motherboard that is a am2, am2+, am3 motherboard. Well I installed windows 7 on this system instead of vista (64 bit version). I am having the same problems, but not near as bad. I thought it might be a heat issue because I was running 50c idle in the bios well I put a rather large heatsink and fan in it (a nice one can't remember specs). Well in my bios it still says its running anywhere from 42-56c at idle. I read somewhere that the temp readings on those processor are bad a lot of the time so I installed a program call speedfan. It is reading that the cpu at close to idle is only running 31c.

So my question is how in the world do I get it to stop doing this thing when I click on programs or ie sometimes the taskbar or just random spots of the screen will go black or be completely white where somethings sposed to be there? My monitor is fine as I have tested it and my graphics card is brand new and worked perfectly in my motherboard with the old processor.

Running Windows 7 64 bit
HD 3850 extreme
Athlon 64 x2 6000+ windsor
Asus M4A78 Plus motherboard

Could the processor be bad or damaged internally? Is there anyway to check? I am running out of funds to keep buying things so I really need some help in this to get my PC running correctly.

Oh and my PSU is brand new as well
and the motherboard puts out 1.398-1.42 volts running the processor.

If there is anything at all that I have not mentioned that needs to be mentioned then please don't hesitate to ask I just need some help im extremely desparate at this point.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Athlon 64 x2 6000+ problem

have you tried putting your 3800 back in just as a test? it may be that in the process something was damaged or shorted, also if the new mobo has onboard video try running off of that as a test to make sure the video wasnt damaged.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have tried both of those and I can't get anything to work with this thing I think it is defective as much as I hate to say it -.-
Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to alaa_ecv_tc

I got the same problem !!
solved by removing the vga driver !!!!!
I reinstalled the driver now .. it works very fine now !!
try to downgrade your VGA driver ..

the computer with that problem was :
windows vista ultimate sp2
intel pentium D 3400-4m-800Mhz
4g DDR2 - 800Mhz VirTech
Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT - 1G - DDR2
Closed Thread