ATA and SATA HHD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ATA and SATA HHD?

Ok, so I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MB, and a old Westerndigital ATA HDD and everything runs great.

I just bought a Seagate SATA HHD and hooked that up and booted up. I didn't change my BIOs or anything yet and the seagate is showing up in the device manager and in BIOS so thats good. BIOS is 5.1.39. I tried booting from cd-rom but that didn't work. Also do I have to format the new HHD even though it has never been used before?

I have Windows XP SP2 on my old WD HD and I also have Windows Vista home premium 64 bit for the new Seagate.

From this point on I am at a loss at how to move forward. My goal is to have my old HD for storage and use XP for if I have gaming trouble on vista I can use my old xp HD to play it. All I want my new HD to do for now is to run vista and games. The problem is that when I boot up it goes straight to my XP and I don't get a chance to install vista on the other HD.

Less importantly is weather there is a way to switch from a HD running vista, to a different HD running XP without having to totally reboot?

Thanks in advance, you all have always been more then helpful.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Re: ATA and SATA HHD?

Wait, so you're trying to run Vista on your new HDD correct? And your old HDD as a storage device? In this case, you'll have to make your old HDD as a slave. Install Windows Vista on the new HDD, if it doesn't go to the setup, I think you click F8 and it'll come up to a Options boot screen. Choose your Optical Drive boot and click enter. It should come up to your Windows Vista setup. When installing Vista's is done on your new HDD, run it and transfer files from your old HDD to your new HDD. Remove it and switch the jumpers back to a master. Do not connect anything to your new HDD. Turn on your computer while your old HDD is the master, click F8 while your Vista's CD is in the optical drive, and I'm pretty sure it will work.
|phucng_10's WM|
Closed Thread