Asus p7p55d-e lx startup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I just built an i5 760 rig with the above motherboard and 4gb's of DDR3 G skill ram for my dad a few months ago.

This may or may not be an issue but during startup, the screen will flash on and off several times. More than half of the time, the bios screen does not show up. It does give me a single beep but not every time. Is this normal? Anybody else have the same motherboard and does it do the same thing?

Also, when ever I plug in a second internal storage drive, the bios makes that drive the boot drive every time. I have to go into the bios and change it back. Why does it do that?

Have the exact board and CPU. Mine takes ~10 seconds to fully boot up. GFX fans go full blast for that long, then settles down. This is a problem with the current chipset. Nothing can be done to fix it. This happened on my ASUS board, as well as my Gigabyte board, same chipset.

As the HDD problem, is that in the first SATA port? If so, it will default to that. Otherwise, I am unsure.

How can yours only take 10 seconds to boot up? Are you counting the time from when you push the power button? And what do you mean your GFX fans go full blast for that long?

On mine, it takes about 50 seconds to 1 minute for Windows to load from the time I push the power button. I am not complaining about how long it takes to start up. I was just wandering about the screen flashing on and off so many times. It even does it after the Windows logo appears and before Windows loads.

I press the power button, fans speed up, 10 seconds later, POST comes up.

My GFX fans go full blast, meaning that the board probably doesn't detect the GFX until POST comes up.

Mine takes about 35 seconds to Windows desktop. I have a Vertex 60GB.

Might want to reset or update BIOS.

The screen flashing could be the GFX driver. Are you using the latest?

I press the power button, fans speed up, 10 seconds later, POST comes up.

My GFX fans go full blast, meaning that the board probably doesn't detect the GFX until POST comes up.

Mine takes about 35 seconds to Windows desktop. I have a Vertex 60GB.

Might want to reset or update BIOS.

The screen flashing could be the GFX driver. Are you using the latest?

After I press the power button, it only takes a couple of seconds for post to come up, just estimating.

I don't understand about the GFX fans. I thought the GFX fans spins at idle until Windws is loaded. On this machine, the video card does not have a fan but on my machine, I have the fan speed set to around 70% and it does not speed up to that number until Windows is loaded.

About udpating the bios, it is currently running bios version 1301 and I think they have version 1601 available on Asus's website. I think I will try to update it. What is the best way to update the bios, with a program in Windows or through the bios? I know the bios says I can use a cd(read only) if I update it through the bios. What about using a DVD instead of a cd? I do not have any working blank cd's or a thumb drive. What about the bios settings, does every setting need to be at default settings to update it?

Yes I am using the latest GFX driver. I will try to update the bios and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for your help, MindoverMaster.

I'm not sure of the GFX card either. Not a problem, though.

I always updated via BIOS. You can use any media to update it.

Ok that is good to hear. Does every setting need to be at the default setting? None of the overclock settings has been changed. Just stuff related to the devices and boot settings.

I got the bios updated and it didn't change anything.

This is where it gets strange. I installed another video card(6800gs) and now the screen does not flicker on and off during startup anymore and the bios screen shows up to. But with the 6800gs installed, doing stuff in Windows is slower than with the previous card. It was doing something similar with an 8800gts installed. I can still do stuff, but there is a second or two delay. With the x600 installed, there was no delay at all.

I am going to reinstall the previous card(x600) and see if it goes back to the normal speed. I just wonder if this board does not like Nvidia cards.

What is the best way to remove drivers before installing the other card? Should I uninstall the drivers for the currently installed card with Driver Sweeper, then remove the card and install the other card?

MindoverMaster, have you ever had an Nvidia card installed in your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom