Asus P5ND temp is 100 C

iParanormalx

The strange one
Recently upgraded the GPU in my current build so I put my old GPU in one of my old builds that has an Asus P5ND motherboard last week it showed one of the temps at 100 degrees C after i shut the machine down I felt the sinks and definitely found the one that is running hot - i couldnt even touch it it would actually burn my fingers.. the fan was grinding a little bit i guess the bearings were going out so i got a new fan for the sink and just installed it but now its idling at around 90 degrees and while playing a game maxing out at 109 degrees C although the failsafe hasn't kicked in so its still running but I dont want to stress the board. I'm not entirely sure what is under the sink that is getting hot - i know its not the processor because it has a much bigger sink on it that looks like this. the one thats overheating looks like this. Maybe the northside bridge? Can that be disabled to alleviate the problem?

Aside from optimizing ventilation, which i've already done, and maybe adding thermal paste (which doesnt help all that much) are there any other tricks to getting that temperature down?

I really think the board is about to take a ****.. I can replace the board for ~75$ so im not heartbroken but i'd like to save that cash for an SSD for my current build.

Advice?

Last edited:
Northbridge = near the top of the board, Southbridge = near the bottom of the board (hence North and South). No, you can't disable them.

Just repaste it, and/or get a small fan that you can mount on it somehow (zipties?) that will run off of either a board fan connector, or one of the molex connectors on the PSU.

Could also do thermal adhesive rather than thermal compound which will help keep it mounted (if there aren't any clips keeping it held down already).

Back
Top Bottom