Asus M2N SLI Deluxe board junk? Sound issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
I bought this mobo and I am pretty unhappy with it. For starters only one IDE slot, and I was forced to get a quick fix USB DVD burner to get my one HDD in the slot. Ok so I bought a SATA HDD and that is sorta solved.

But the real issue is the fact that the onboard sound (SoundMAX) is garbage. I have a lowish muted sound. And what's worse is it routinely pops in and out, I guess to normal volume and quality. When it pops back to normal quality it about scares the krap out of me, and for like a few seconds I hear what the sound "should" be like.

This happens a lot playing oblivion. I can hear it pop in and out, and during the game it spikes loud and clear and then back to muted and low volume. I have downloaded all the latest drivers for all the parts of the board. Except the Nforce ones. But I have not solved the problem.

The thing is I hate to buy a sound card, I really don't care much about sound (as long as it works). For starters there is not much space in the case, I have a bracket cooler in there and my X1900XT needs space for airflow. And secondly the mobo costs enough that it should have working sound already.

As it stands I probably won't buy Asus boards anymore, this Soundmax issue is quite freakin annoying.

when I had the M2N-SLi Deluxe, the sounds were pretty HD, I guess I was one of the lucky ones or your having bad luck bro, try out uninstalling the drivers and get new ones from Asus, or try to RMA if you still have time to do so...

There are other posts about the same problem with the same board. So it's a common enough problem. What do you mean RMA?

There are other posts about the same problem with the same board. So it's a common enough problem. What do you mean RMA?

like go to the place where you bought that board, and as for a replacement, because its faulty or say its DOA (Dead on Arrival)

Well I got it from Newegg and really before tearing this out of my computer and being without a computer for the weeks it takes to get a new mobo, I would probably just get a 30 dollar sound card that is a little better than the onboard sound anyways. But I am worried about the heating issue, that X1900Xt runs hot and I hate to agitate the problem by squeezing in a sound card.

Well I have to agree about this. I wont buy anymore ASUS either. I've had this Asus A8n32 sli deluxe and I have been very unhappy with it also. It has been the pickiest piece I've ever owned.

This is great, just about to buy an Asus P5KC :/

Well just be careful, the onboard sound is really really low quality on some of the Asus boards apparently. I actually sorta of fixed the problem. I had to remove PC probe II(comes on Mobo Disc) and then reinstall drivers AFTER(not before) removing PC probe II. Next I had to turn acceleration down to basic level for sound.

I had to do things in that sequence because I toyed with acceleration before and it did not help. The sound is still pretty mediocre and the overall volume is lower. Also a lot of stuff sounds muted. But now it's decent and not broken.

Did some research on the P5KC

Seems that it raids bad since it has 1 internal and 1 external port :O!

Also there seems to be issues with lan drivers and ddr 1066. People reporting DOA, 50%?

Also i read that the "Memory Enhancement" that Asus talks about only works with Kingston Ram....

And for a cherry on top, the copper pipes seem to go to temperatures around 59c. Some people where reporting blown capasiters when OC'ing Quad cores.

As for the good news? Works extremely well with ddr 800 and E6650's (which i am getting) seem to work nicely with them. Cheap board, good for gaming (OC'ing) :S. Other than the issues i read, there is nothing but good comments about them :p

Right now am a bit scared to buy.

Well I have the M2N SLI deluxe board, so your board could be completely different. And my sound is working now, but it's not nearly as good as the sound I had on my previous MSI board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom