Asus Cool-n-quite / Cpu - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Asus Cool-n-quite / Cpu

Hi all, Just when ya think everythings perfect you notice smething else gone wrong !! My board is an ASUS A8S-X with AMD ATHLON 64 DUAL CORE 3800 2.00 GH. 2GIG RAM DDR400. Same set up iv'e had for months. I notice just yesterday via PC Probe II my cpu temp is up a fair bit. Have a look at the COOL N QUITE application and sure enough its running flat out. Checked the bios and all is set as it should be for the CPU mhz to be throttled back to about 1.oogh when at idle as it always used to . I notice the CPU voltage is varying a lot , 1.3 to 1.4 . Jumping up and down. Could this possibly be a PSU Unit problem ? I am sometimes getting voltage alerts from the probe too . Any ASUS BOARD EXPERTS out there ready to advise me where to start fault finding first ? Ran memtest on all the dimms and there all good. Anyway hope to hear from someone. May have been my own doing, possibly shorted the board, forgetting to switch off power before connecting and dissconnecting things !! I would'nt be the lone ranger there i'm sure ! Thanks all

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Asus Cool-n-quite / Cpu

Have you cleaned out your CPU heat sink? Make sure it's still seated good. And you can either bring the power supply in to test it or buy a tester for about $12.00.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks sPIAToid. Everything clean as a whistle on this machine. Took out the dual cor and replaced the standard Amd Athlon CPU i used to run just to check it wasn't the cpu itself but thats not it. Its running hotter because the cpu is running at full speed 2000.00 constantly now wheras it used to run at about 1000.00 when not under load. Tried a cloned hard drive too, no diff.
Like you say will invest in a psu unit tester. Gotta be bios or voltage related i reckon. The machine is working great otherwise, i just liked the way cool n quite throttled back the cpu when it had no need to be running full pelt. Kinda like reving the guts out of you car engine constantly when not needed.
Might try to flash the bios with the original. Thanks for you reply mate.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thumbs up Re: Asus Cool-n-quite / Cpu

Guess what, all is well ! Just got a tip from AMD FORUMS to check power options in windows control panel and set to minimal power. That was the problem! Can't believe i forgot to change that after setting up this drive. I feel a real dork ! Spent hours yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong.Oh well at least all is back to normal and i know i hav'nt damaged the board. Ya live and learn ! Chears and thanks. Brunoboy.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Great fix. Glad you let me know about it. Always room for some more info in my worn out brain.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah, as you near 50 the wear and tear really starts to show !
Operating System System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Model Processor a
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Display
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
n Circuit Board
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Thats the truth. I think.....LOL

Closed Thread