Asus A7V880 won't run Athlon XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesE

Beta member
Tearing my hair out here. I am trying to upgrade mine and my son's computers. Bought two Asus A7V880 motherboards together with Athlon XP 2550 (Barton) and Athlon XP 2800 (Barton) processors (all from different vendors) but neither of the processors will run in either of the boards. My old processor, an Athlon 1100 runs fine in both boards. I have the system fully working and booted to Windows with the old processor but if I take that out and drop in either the 2500 or 2800 - nothing, doesn't even post.
Two options spring to mind - either the motherboards need some sort of tweak or the psu (the only constant left) is not up to it.
On the motherboard side, both boards have the latest BIOS and I have even set the BIOS manually to the correct voltages and FSB etc. for the 2500 (at least I think I have). PSU specs are

300W

+5v | +3.3v | +12v | -5v | -12v | +5VSB
25A | 20A | 13A | 0.3A | 0.8A | 2A
180W Max | 156W | 1.5W |9.6W | 10W

Running Speedfan (with my old processor) gives me

VCore1 1.87V
VCore2 0.00V
+3.3v 3.26V
+5v 4.92V
+12v 12.03V
-12V -16.9V
-5V -8.78V
+5V 5.03V
Vbat 3.28V

but I don't really know what all this means.

So do I need a tweak on the motherboards or is it the PSU? If the latter please tell me what PSU I need as I don't want to spend another £50 for nothing.

reset the cmos, take out the battery on your motherboard for 15-20 minutes then put it back in. (unplug ur computer befor doing this otherwise it wont work)

Why do people say 15-20 minutes to reset the bios? There is a jumper that will immediately reset the CMOS when set, and if you take out the battery, it is only a matter of 15-20 seconds before it resets, not 15-20 minutes.

TRUE! there is a jumper but if i am right it is not on all boards. the battery needs to be out no longer than 10 secs.

No, the jumper is on everyboard. A board may be jumperless, but it is going to have that jumper. They dont want people always yanking the battery, that could end up being bad news.

Sprooty said:
reset the cmos, take out the battery on your motherboard for 15-20 minutes then put it back in. (unplug ur computer befor doing this otherwise it wont work)

Already tried that. Makes no difference. Any other ideas?

NONONONO!!! Thats not how those jumpers work! There are threee pins, and the jumper is jumping two of them, say pins 1 and 2. You move it over so it is jumping pins 2 and 3, start up the computer. It will tell you that CMOS has been reset, please shutdown computer and reposition jumper... Or something to that effect. It does the same thing as yanking the battery.

I would say to contact technical support. Maybe there is a known issue with those processors, or maybe it simply wont support those processors for one reason or another. Have you tried a BIOS flash? Maybe for some odd reason your BIOS is too new and you will have to flash it with an older version. That happens, not often, but it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom