Assistance with a RAID setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epagien

Beta member
Hi all,
I'm currently trying to reinstall Windows XP on my friends computer who has two hard drives with two partitions with one set to RAID 0. The initial problem was that it would not boot up into Windows Setup freezing at 'Starting Windows Setup.' This issue was resolved; however, I'm suspecting further problems with CD-Drive and Floppy drive.

When trying to reinstall Windows XP on the existing partition I'm presented with an error saying unable to access the hard drive. Then I'm returned to the screen to select an area to install Windows Pro.

This makes me think that it could be driver issues; however, I've already downloaded the SATA Raid drives. I'm wanting to insure that the data within the RAID stays accessible after this Windows XP install.

What would be the best route to reinstalling Windows XP while not breaking the RAID configuration and preventing any data loss.

Thanks.

If the raid drive is a separate drive then unplug it and do your setup on the regular drive. What is the other drive SATA or IDE?

Both drives are SATA. What I have done for the moment is attached an IDE drive to the computer, and installed Windows XP on it in order to back up the data; however, it's not recognizing the RAID as of the moment. Will I need to setup the RAID again in order to backup the data on the IDE drive?

Ideally, I wanted to do it this route and then just see if I could recreate the RAID configuration as it seems like a hassle to have that small system partition and then the RAID 0 setup. My friend only gave himself 10GB to work with in his system partition.

Are you getting your fast build utility if not you probably need to install raid again. I'm no expert with but have set a few computers up using it.

Yea, I'm planning on just setting up the RAID agian to see what will come of it. I'll have to see when I go back over to his house to try it out. Thanks for all your help even if you feel like you're not expert you have more hands-on experience than me which says a lot more than book experience at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom