aol does not detect dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmm5899

Beta member
when i try to connect to the internet through aol my modem makes a sound like it is dialing and then i get an error message aol cannot detect dial tone the computer has windows 95 operating system what could be wrong?:confused:

I don't use AOL, so I can't help you troubleshoot there. Since you're paying for their service, call AOL and explain it to them. Tell them how dissatisfied you are and you want to cancel, and they should give you a discounted price for a few months. I did that back in the day when I was like 11 and on dialwhat??

If the computer is no detecting dial-tone, then you have a problem somewhere on the line... Either someone is USING the phone line in the house (or wherever), possibly a bad phone cord from the wall to the computer, or you have the cord plugged into the wrong port on the modem. Some modem's will have two RJ11 ports. One to connect to the wall, and another that you can connect to a phone so that you don't lose a jack, and so you don't have to buy a splitter.... Make sure the phone cord is plugged in correctly, and all the way at both ends. It could also be a bad modem.

Also, a modem is setup to at first detect a normal dial tone. A few things to do is go into modem properties and then diagnostics and then do a test. See if it gives any error. If it doesn't then that solves one problem. Then goto dialing properties, remove the check mark from wait for dial tone before dialing, for outside line and the one blank below it add two commas each (four total) so its like this: ,,

Then go into properties, should be a string setting. NOTE: Copy down EXACTLY anthing that is already in there, after that add the following line:

&fx3

save and restart and try again. If it doesn't work revert everything back and reinstall DUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom