Any hope for dead Maxtor 300 gig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gUiLe

Beta member
I have a 300gig Maxtor that has gone bad. It was working fine up until a few days ago and started making a beeping sound when I power it on. It is a rythmatic tone that happens about 3 times then goes silent and it is in fact coming directly from the drive.

I was using the drive in a usb enclosure. Although the drive is seen in the bios (as an external Maxtor sabre), it shows 0meg and will not mount in any way, shape or form. I have connected it directly to my pc and the same deal, physically recognize, but not logically.

I have quite a bit of stuff on there that I would love to retrieve (no, it wasn't backed up) but will no way pay $500+ (low side) to some data retrieval co. I tried many different software programs all with no luck (getback data has worked many times in the past and it will not see any sectors). I was thinking of possibly changing the logic board (if I can find the same board w =fw).

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.
g

well, there is the freezer approach which consists of carefully enclosing the drive in an airtight bag and putting it in your freezer for 4-6 hours and then hooking it up to your comp and supposedly you can get a few minutes of use out of it maybe enough to back up some of the more important things on it...........

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did hear that but I also heard it's kind of a myth. I know if I DO try it, any chance of retrieving data (let's say it don't work) after the freeze will pretty much be gone.

I would like to explore other options first and use that as a last resort if needed.

erm try getting the ultimate boot cd http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ then format your drive with it ,,, then use a program to recovered deleted files,, that worked for me before,, for the love of god dont reset the drive to 0s if that option shows up though

I think I will give that a shot. Any rec's on which formatting program to use of the ubcd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom