Another boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
I read the booting problem thread, but it seemed that if I posted my thread in a reply it might get hectic.

Ok so I left my computer on overnight for maybe the 3rd time in a row. When I came back to it in the morning I found it turned off. I thought maybe my little brother turned it off, but unfortunately thats not the case...
See when I turned my computer back on, it turns on. BUT IT DOESN'T BOOT UP! NOTHING comes up on the screen, no beeping, no Bios, zilch, nada, NOTHING!
I started to think 2 things
1) Processor failed/motherboard failed
2)Something in my computer isn't getting power.

Please help me! I know its redundant to ask these questions, but I need help...BAD!

I play FPS
I alternate with my little brother, in turn we go for up to maybe 8 hours.
I leave it on overnight.

Now the power works, I believe. The fans in the back turn on...thats basically all I can say. The thing is that my motherboard's fan has NEVER worked, so its hard to diagnose the problem that way.

Note: When I turn my computer on , I have 2 lights come on, on my computer tower.
1)The power (green)
2)The processing light (red)

Okay, this is a very vague problem, so where to start....

First off, you say the fan on your motherboard has never worked? I hope you're not reffering to the heatsink fan, which is mounted on top of your heat sink which basically keeping your processor from frying. If that fan is indeed not spinning, or never has, your processor could very well be fried to bits.

Assuming thats not the fan you were talking about, lets take the basic troubleshooting techniques for this. Start by "stripping" your computer down to the bare essentials. Leave only one stick of RAM, the hard drive, and video card (if not use onboard video). If the computer turns on sucessfully after that, then you've narrowed it down to a hardware problem. If the problem still persists, try swapping out all sticks of RAM with maybe a set from another computer (if the speeds match). Also try swapping out the power supply.

It may be a lot to do, but these are the basic troubleshooting techniques that people like me go through every day (I'm a computer technician ). Let me know how it goes.

Well my model is an NF7-s
Here is a picture of the product
http://www.overclockzone.com/spin9/review/mainboard/abit/nf7-s/DSCN0915.JPG
its the small tiny fan.

But I have a big fan ontop of my processor...

Anyways, I tried disconnecting my harddrives, my cd drives, and all I have left to do it disconnect my Ram. I was reading more posts about this topic, and it seems it could possibly be my power supply. Someone said that their mobo doesnt 'post', and the person that replied said that it was because of his power supply.

Does 'Post' mean, like when the bios comes up and shows text?
If so, I get no 'Post' either..

POST is an acronym for Power On Self Test. This happens as soon as you push the power button your tower. It usually lasts about 5-8 seconds. The finale of it is a happy "beep". This is done totally with the hardware, and has nothing to do with your OS, so when it doesn't post, it most definately points to a hardware problem.

it is not good to run a pc for extended periods of time with a faulty chipset fan, you may have damaged the chipset and that could be your problem. it could be a power supply issue too.

the red light is not a processing light, it is a hdd activity light. that info does help though. if the power light and hdd activity light come on and stay on it means the pc has stalled fairly early in POST i.e. probably at cpu, memory or video stage. my first guess would be the memory.

You know I've just had the same problem as you, and i think it's because it wants you to revalidate your windows or something. I was just playing games on my pc one day, and i decide to restart my pc to refresh performance... then it wont start up anymore. Same problem as yours, i turned it on, everythings running (powered up, fans on) but the bios wouldnt start. the red light is just on right there but no activity.
I took my pc to my friends house whos computer is just as old as mine with a 445 or watevers mother board slot. I swapped my hardrive with his computer, and it loads up fine, but then after it finishes loading windows, it wanted me to revalidate my windows MCE. I didn't know wtf that is but i know my harddrives not broken, but it also wouldn't run on my computer.
As of right now I don't really have a solution.. lol, i just decided to get a new motherboard and processor along with a new HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom