annoying clip - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kraut
Default annoying clip

ok well today a friend shipped me a 7900gt to replace my 7600gt. I have an C51PVGM-M model motherboard AM2 (ECS).

As you can see there is a little ******n clip on the end of the PCI express slot. I have tried pushing this down with a great amount of force but it will not budge, I have not tried to max push it because I have a fear that I will screw up the motherboard. I've tried moving it right and left and up and it will not budge. Anyone have a clip similar to this and know what to do? I might just go for it and press it to its maximum (good excuse to upgrade ) Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Matt

Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: annoying clip

That clip acts like a RAM clip. Pull it towards the southbridge chip that says nVidia. Just use one finger. It really shouldn't require much force at all.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

I have the same clip since I also have an ECS board. You need to unscrew the card from the case, remove any power cables. Then you get a good grip on the card, and lift the front, the port end, up while keeping the back down. After you get the card up at an angle, you slide it off out of the clip.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
I have the same clip since I also have an ECS board. You need to unscrew the card from the case, remove any power cables. Then you get a good grip on the card, and lift the front, the port end, up while keeping the back down. After you get the card up at an angle, you slide it off out of the clip.
ok I will try this! Why must ECS make their motherboards so inconvenient?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Triforcer

It really is annoying I agree. ASRock uses the same technique on many of their boards. I like the basic spring pull-clip. Holds the card in enough. Most of us don't need our video cards glued to the board.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah having it screwed in should be good enough. That clip is very annoying heh. Most people dont move a desktop much once it is setup.

Closed Thread