AN8SLI and 2 x Cruicial CT12864Z40B Dual Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojjan

Beta member
Hóla all, 1st tim around these forums.

Got a problem with running my two new memory sticks in dual cahnnel mode.

The motherboard has 4 memory slots and according to the manual I should place the two sticks in successive slots only to invoke dual channel operation. When I do that, my POST screen reports 2gb '1T Dual Channel Memory' no sweat. It can boot to POST, I can enter BIOS. The problems start when the OS is about to load.

I get to the Windows XP loading screen with the litle dotted progress indicator. It s displayed for a few seconds and then the computer just comes to a dead halt power down as if someones unplugged the power or something.

I ve tried the sticks in DIMM s 1-2 and 3-4 for dual channel operation but I get the same result.

However, I can run the computer in single channel mode without any such problems by placing the sticks in slots 1-3 or 2-4.

I did purchase the sticks as a matched pair as well.

I assume either the motherboard or one or both of the sticks are broken right?

out,

D

If you have tried all the sticks in different slots 1 by 1 then either:

Run a memory test: Memtest86 - Download Page

Run it for at least 30min, If you get any errors then that stick of ram you are testing is bad.

If the sticks are fine then maybe try seeing if there is an update in bios for dual channel.

Also there might be a voltage error.

also don't worry about dual channel. it doesn't really offer that much of an increase in performance anymore from what i've heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom