AMD Phenom II X2 Unlocked to 4 cores?? back to 2 cores?? problems, read to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykid122

Beta member
Ok, so i know its not GUARANTEED to work, and your lucky if you do get it to work. I don't want to know how to do it, i already did. so my Processor has been running great. i unlocked it, my CPU-Z said it was unlocked to a quad core, it was showing 4 cores. But now it says its back at a dual core, my buddy had me go into ms config/boot/advance/ and set my processors to 2, it wasn't even selected, that was for something else. but i did that, and before that, i tried to OC my CPU, i have an MSI 785gt-e63 mobo. i had upped my multiplier from 16, to 16.5 and it was stable, then to 17, it was stable, and at 17.5 which was 4.2 Ghz, and it wasn't stable, so i upped my voltage a notch, still unstable, did it once more, still unstable, the next notch was red so i said forget it. so i down clocked back to 3.84 GHZ (mult. of 16, also my easy OC switches are set to 20% increase.) this was about 2-3 days ago, and i looked at my CPU-z about an hour ago, and it says dual core again. so i reversed what i did in msconfig, restarted, checked my bios settings with the unlock and everything. and everything was back to how i had it, but still a dual core. anyone have any ideas on what may be going on? i cant adjust my CPU freq. only the multiplier.

Stock its at 3.2 GHZ --> easy OC switch on by 20% brings it to 3.8, i said i OCed it up there by upping the multiplier, but i did that to see how much higher i could go, i disabled my changes until i get my water cooling unit. Anyone that can help?

CPU SPECS
AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE
MSI 785GT-E63 mobo
8gb DDR2 Kingston RAM
600w Power supply
AMD Radeon 6850
Windows 7 x64

if you need any other info, ill post back ASAP

And when i went in to "set affinity" it showed 4 cores, now it doesn't. so i don't know what happened

No, i bet you on a bsod/reboot your cpu/bios went back to default.

The 2 cores vare usually shut down because they are unstable, which makes oc'ing them difficult/impossible.

These cpu's are sold by AMD as dual or triple core because they have one or two cores that AMD determined were bad, You should not be supprised that this happened. These cpu's should be bought and used as they are if you want a AMD quad buy a real one then you will have the results you want.

thanks for the replys guys, i know that there sold as dual cores, and that the other two can either be surplus or defective, i was just trying to get as much out of it as i could, im running it as dual core at 4.22GHZ, im going to get the AMD Phenom II X6 1100tT Black Edition hopefully soon

if it ran unstable i wouldn't have been able to boot right? ive been using it with 4 cores so i guess it was stable

@ krazykid122, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

These cpu's are sold by AMD as dual or triple core because they have one or two cores that AMD determined were bad

In a perfect world that would be true. But sometimes it's just a matter of what model of cpu the company need need stock of. If they have an ample supply of quad cores and they need dual cores they'll just disable a couple cores and ship them out. They do the same thing with the speed rating. If they have a batch capable of 3.4GHz but they need 3GHz chips they'll just set the multiplier for 3GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom