AMD drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmustardman

Beta member
I homebuilt my PC, which of course means I need to go and download my own drivers. I have installed my video, and sound drivers, but I cant find the AMD chipset driver I need. I run an AMD Athlon XP 2100+. I checked the AMD site, but cant find the driver I need. If you guys could help, it would be most helpful to me.

thx in advance :cool:

I am pretty sure that processors don't need/have drivers...

It might be the motherboard that you mean.

really!? see... the chipset is what confuses me... I keep hearing the term Intel or AMD chipset drivers, and I dont know... maby I dont need a driver at all and this was a pointless post?? idk... thanks anyway.

Hello,

The AMD Athlon XP processor does require a driver, however Windows XP already comes with an AMD compatible driver (AMDK7.sys) which it uses.

However, 64 bit AMD processors do require specific drivers which aren't provided with Windows XP, and they can be downloaded from the AMD website.

Chipsets are different to CPUs, in that a chipset is a chip or a group of chips on a motherboard which control the flow of information between hardware devices (the memory, CPU, input devices etc...).

As well as Intel and AMD manufacturing processors, they also manufacture motherboard chipsets (Intel especially more notably) - which themselves require drivers, as well as the processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom