AMD/ATI HD5770 Upgrade Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

landran

Beta member
AAAARRGH!!

---System Specs:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
5 x 7200 Sata Hard Drives
Plenty of airflow from 5 x Noctua NF-P12 fans and a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
HD4350

---Problem Hardware
Visiontek HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Video Card
PowerColor AX5770 1GBD5-H ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

---What I've already tried
Updating the motherboard BIOS
Replacing the Graphics card
Run a MemTest on my RAM
Unplugged all but 1 hard drive and CPU fan
Dropped all OC back to stock speeds

Problem: When I install either of the 5770s computer freezes, locks up, doesn't work as advertised.

Description: I built my computer (yeah!) but when I recently upgraded my graphics to the PowerColor 5770, it would sometimes boot into windows but lockup shortly thereafter. Sometimes it would hang during BIOS and sometimes even hang while in the BIOS options. I replaced the card with the Visiontek 5770 thinking that it was a faulty card, but the Visiontek is also giving me the same problems. Actually, I'm having trouble getting into the OS before it hangs with the Visiontek. I checked to make sure that the motherboard DOES support PCIe 2.0 and I've checked to make sure the plugs are all plugged in. I reset my BIOS to stock settings so there's no OCing taking place. I've updated the motherboard BIOS hoping that there was some joy there, to no avail. I'm thinking that it "might" be a power supply issue but I don't want keep taking a shotgun approach. I've run the Power Calculators online and found that 550 Watts of power "should" be plenty enough to supply either of these cards.

Being that it sometimes refuses to post and locks up in the BIOS screen, I don't believe it has anything to do with the OS. Being that it happens to 2 separate GPUs, I seriously doubt that the fault is in the GPU itself. For now I'm running the 4350 until I get this figured out.

Forum Gods, I beseech you. I'll also accept help from normal people who know more than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom