AMD 64 3200+ CPU running slowly in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk_eyeBF2

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, i'm new to these forums,

Anyway - i'm posting here because the members of the site who have been helping have run out of ideas. I'm posting here for extra help, as you guys should have (in theory) more knowledge on computer hardware than a whole bunch of BF2 modders. :D

Here is the thread: If you could read all of it so you know where we have got to that would make life easier. It has pictures as well. :D

http://battlefieldsingleplayer.planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4503&st=0

I'd appreciate all the help you can give me!

Oh, and obviously - so the mods don't get angry - I just referred to another thread on another site so that I don't have to re-type all the information we have gathered already.

What temp is that CPU of yours running at under load? As you said in the last couple of posts on that site, your CPU seems to be bottlenecking. And I have to say its possible. What worries me is the fact that you state earlier in the thread that your CPU maxes out at 70, which to be honest is really high for a Athlon 64. Have you got "cool 'n quiet" enabled? It downclocks your CPU when it gets too warm, so that might be causing the problem.

If you jumped right to 2.7GHz with that chip, on air cooling, then you very well could have damaged it. If you did damage it, it is unlikely that you will see any physical damage..the damage done is in the internals of the chip. Fried pathways is probally what you'd encounter. By the way, you said it was at 49*C..is that at idle or at full load?

Make sure you check what speeds your RAM is running at in the BIOS.

magouster said:
What temp is that CPU of yours running at under load? As you said in the last couple of posts on that site, your CPU seems to be bottlenecking. And I have to say its possible. What worries me is the fact that you state earlier in the thread that your CPU maxes out at 70, which to be honest is really high for a Athlon 64. Have you got "cool 'n quiet" enabled? It downclocks your CPU when it gets too warm, so that might be causing the problem.

I think he meant the max temperature tolerance for the chip, not the max he was getting.

Re:

...any antivirus programs shielding your PC when you run BF2?

Disable active protection when running the game. It might help...

Thanks for all the replies.

"If you jumped right to 2.7GHz with that chip, on air cooling, then you very well could have damaged it."

I didn't jump from 2.0 to 2.7 - I went up from 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.65, 2.7. And even then, it was only running on 2.7 for about 10 minutes, until I realised it was futile overclocking it because I got no performance gain.
I put it back to 2.2, and again realised no performance gain, and since then it has been left at default 2.0GHz.

When I overclocked it, I had the power (voltage) set to auto all the time, I never changed the voltage myself.

The highest temp I ever got on it was something like 39c I believe.. and the max temp for the CPU itself is around 70c - so no worries there. As I said, I read numerous overclocking reviews on the 3200, and they all said that the stock heatsink worked well enough - and it would if the CPU had a max temp of 70c.

Is it possible to damage components at 39c? Remember the max temperature of the CPU is 70c. (degrees celcius)

"Make sure you check what speeds your RAM is running at in the BIOS."

Where do I find that option - I havn't seen it around while searching through the BIOS. I have Phoenix Award v6.00

What temp is that CPU of yours running at under load?"

As I said - at 2.7GHz I played BF2 for about 10mins, then quit, shutdown the PC, went into BIOS (allowing not much cooldown time for an accurate recording) and recorded 39c.

At the moment, the CPU is running about 30 odd degrees after BF2. My Case temperature rarely goes above 30. Normally 22c.

The hardest part about this is, if it is damaged internally because of overclocking - how? If the max temp is 70c and I only had it to 39c max - why did it fail? Isn't the max temperature the point at which testers found it started to melt?
I was still 31c off that figure...

EDIT: Oh, yeah - no anti-virus software enabled, and AMD cool n quiet is turned off.

Actually, the CPU can cool VERY rapidly. While running Prime95 and recording my temps, my CPU get's like 40*C, then as soon as I shut it off it's back at 30*C, almost instantly..probally takes less than 5 seconds to cool down.

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t72308.html

TLHMar 29 2006, 06:14 AM

If that's a full load temp then you're not too bad.
If on the other hand that's at idle I would check that you installed the heatsink & fan correctly.
85°C is the maximum temp before you start damaging the chip.
Obviously the cooler you keep it the better.
Was this a retail box 3200?

Type "AMD 3200 max temperature" in google and you'll find lots of forum posts and websites stating that the threshold is around 85C.

Are those reading for the temperatures that you are getting from the BIOS or from sensors placed inside of the machine?

I dont want to make you feel silly or anything, but I think that it might be a good idea to check the heatsink and fan on your graphics cards. I dont necessarily think that there is any reason for your processor to be the main problem.

If you are overclocking the card, you might want to tune that down some and then post some results on that.

Even if you dont have it overclocked, I think that you should lower the PCI speed and see if you can get longer game play. I dont know how reliable your card is, and it is possible that your card could be crapping out. If at all possible I would switch that card out for another one and see if you can get extended gameplay.

Post results, I would like to know if you have any progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom