Alternative to installing windows and then moving the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyattt

Beta member
I'm fixing a computer up for a low income family at my church. I bought a Dell SX270 (one of those small buisiness type desktops) and the CD-ROM (which is a bay not standard desktop drive) is on the fritz. The seller (EBAY) pulled the hard drive so I bought a clean 2.5" laptop drive for it. Well I can't install windows on the Dell. I have an adapter card to plug a laptop hard drive into a desktop and so I tried installing it on an HP 7940 desktop. Ignorantly, I thought I could install windows on it then move the drive to the Dell and install the appropriate drivers. Instead, I get the windows blue screen with stop code: 0x0000007B which I searched and read and tried to understand the information from various Microsfot and non microsoft pages that came up in my search.

So my question is this. Is there a way to get windows running on the Dell (which due to the broken CD drive has no other drives other than the hard drive I am trying to put in it with windows) without aving to hunt down on ebay or buy another drive bay? Any website links would even be helpful if you are not fond of typing huge responses. I'm a novice with desktops and so what I don't know how to do, I should be able to research and learn how to do it.

I tried searching threads but I didn't find something like this.

If you can put the harddrive into the computer u want it in and try temporarly putting another cd drive that works in it. Install windows. Then remove the cdrom and put it back in original computer.

The thing is, it's a bay CD-ROM drive which is speciually built for this computer. Otherwhise I totally would.

You don't have to actually install the CD drive. Just open the case and connect the power and cable, then do the install. Just put a piece of cardboard or something under the cd drive so it doesn't touch metal to metal. It doesn't matter what kind of CD drive it is. Except maybe a USB connected, then it probably wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom