For all you computer builders - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Unhappy For all you computer builders

Hey guys, when playing wow, i got the blue windows error screen. I think it could be because on this mob( Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!) if you look at the picture, there is a whit plastic connector with 4 male pins. It kind of looks like a male molex cord.
in the manual this is labeled as J1. Auxiliary power for graphics. When I built my computer, I plugged A PSU cabe, 4 female pinned, molex looking thing into that plug on the motherboard. Then, hooking off of another plug on the same psu cord, (the cord that I used to plug into the MOBO) I used a cord that came with my graphics card, it went into the graphics card. I have this graphics card(Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!). What do you think guys and gals? Could my harmful ways have totally F *ed up my mobo?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: For all you computer builders

Hello,

Do you get a blue screen all the time? If so, when do blue screens usually occur?

I can see the molex connector on the motherboard. This would be the first time I've seen a molex connector on the motherboard itself for auxiliary power for graphics cards, but then again it's been a long while since I've purchased a motherboard.

I've read the manual and it doesn't say if you need it or not, or whether you should use it in conjunction with the dedicate PCI Express power connector on the graphics card.

Personally, I would disconnect the molex power cable from the auxiliary power connector on the motherboard, and just use the molex to PCI Express power adapter that came with your graphics card. Still, I wouldn't think having both plugged in would do damage. To add, the molex power connector may not be what caused the blue screen.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Its been about 2 days since I finished building my computer. The blue screen has only occured once. It happened while I was playing World of Warcraft. Since my first post, I have switched connections. This is the switch. A molex psu power cable into the motherboard auxiliary graphic slot. And a pci-e, psu power cable to the pci-e slot on the graphics card. Then, I played World of Warcraft for about 15 minutes. While playing, I did not get another bleu screen, so I hope this fixed the problem. Do you think this is an acceptable connection?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

my nforce 570 says it needs one but i didnt plug it in. and the board has never given me any problems with my 9800gtx

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callofbooty View Post
Hi,

Thanks for replying. Its been about 2 days since I finished building my computer. The blue screen has only occured once. It happened while I was playing World of Warcraft. Since my first post, I have switched connections. This is the switch. A molex psu power cable into the motherboard auxiliary graphic slot. And a pci-e, psu power cable to the pci-e slot on the graphics card. Then, I played World of Warcraft for about 15 minutes. While playing, I did not get another bleu screen, so I hope this fixed the problem. Do you think this is an acceptable connection?
I think it will be fine.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 11-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
I don't overclock

I hate to say this
but I TOLD YOU SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post

just plug in the 6pin from your 650TX psu to the card
and you'll be good to go

why put extra strain on the board when you don't have to?

Closed Thread