Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting (http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/)
-   -   Alcohol 120% demo disabled my DVD drives!!! (http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/alcohol-120-demo-disabled-my-dvd-drives-68589/)

Igetshockedalot 10-05-2005 01:51 PM

UPDATED: READ THIS IF YOU ARE RUNNING ALCO 120%!!!
 
I installed the Alcohol 120% demo a while back and everything was working fine until just the other day when the trial software period expired. Now the My Computer tray only shows 1 CD ROM drive instead of my DVD-ROM and DVD burner and when I attempt to access the only available drive, I get a hyper-link to the Alcohol 120% website. I uninstalled the software as well as all folders and ran Registry Mechanic but the same thing happens!!!! My BIOS doesn't even recognize the fact that I have 2 DVD drives!!! WTF? Btw, I have power to both drives and have checked the connections. Thanks!

brady 10-05-2005 01:53 PM

uninstall it completely including reg entries.

Igetshockedalot 10-05-2005 02:00 PM

I did that. I used the Alcohol uninstall file and was actually pretty pleased to see that it asked me if I wanted the registry cleaned of all Alcohol files. Of course I chose yes and let the uninstall continue. When it was done it asked me to restart the computer and then I ran Registry Mechanic to clean up any loose ends.

brady 10-05-2005 02:03 PM

I have seen this before with daemon tools.
Did you have anything mounted?

Have you re-installed it yet ?
If you have to pay for that app, Try daemon tools.
Mount an ISO and see what happens.

Igetshockedalot 10-05-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bradybnmci
I have seen this before with daemon tools.
Did you have anything mounted?

Have you re-installed it yet ?
If you have to pay for that app, Try daemon tools.
Mount an ISO and see what happens.

No I haven't re-installed it. I figured that I'm missing something that needs to be removed and if I tried to reinstall, the software would automatically recognize that there was a trial version on the comp before and I would be right back at square one.
Not sure what you mean by having anyhting mounted...
Also, what's an ISO?

Thanks a lot for the help!!! :D

brady 10-05-2005 02:15 PM

Im confused now...

Quote:

"I figured that I'm missing something that needs to be removed and if I tried to reinstall, the software would automatically recognize that there was a trial version on the comp before and I would be right back at square one.

This entry makes me think after uninstalling it and running the reg cleaner fixed it ?

Juice Daddy 10-05-2005 02:19 PM

I would suggest disconnecting the dvd/cd drives starting windows, scan for hardware changes and check the device manager to be sure they aren't there... shut down and reconnect them then start it back up. scan for hw changes again to see if windows finds them...

Igetshockedalot 10-05-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bradybnmci
Im confused now...This entry makes me think after uninstalling it and running the reg cleaner fixed it ?
Sorry I confused you :o What I was trying to say was that the fact that I got a hyperlink to the Alcohol website when I attempted to access the drive meant that between the uninstall program and Registry Mechanic, some part of the alcohol software was still somehow on the system. Why else would it give me that hpyerlink? I DID try to reinstall it though and got these errors...


http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hehead/TS1.jpg

And

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hehead/ts2.jpg

brady 10-05-2005 02:30 PM

Do you know how to clean up the registry yourself ? w/o using a 3rd party app ?

Igetshockedalot 10-05-2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Juice Daddy
I would suggest disconnecting the dvd/cd drives starting windows, scan for hardware changes and check the device manager to be sure they aren't there... shut down and reconnect them then start it back up. scan for hw changes again to see if windows finds them...
That actually sounds like a really good idea. I'll try it. The thing I find so wierd about this is that the drives a are absent in BIOS??? When I go to the device manager all that shows up is this...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...hehead/TS3.jpg

Wierd huh? But I'll try your idea of disconnecting the cables and let you know what happens.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.