Airport Express Base station question

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Tortura

Solid State Member
I have bought an airport express base station (arriving in a couple of weeks) to set up a wireless network with my Macbook Pro. But my internet is connected (via ethernet) to the family PC (that only has one ethernet cable outlet which connects to the modem.) I see that on the apple website it shows that an ethernet cable is connected into the base station, but how can I achieve this when the ethernet outlet in the PC is already in use... Is it just a case of plugging it into a telephone outlet using another ethernet cable or am I going have to do something else...

From what I understand, you have a Cable/DSL modem, and there is a PC plugged into it. If I am understanding you correctly, then the solution is to get a router. The router acts as a hub and it also distributes the internet, and internal IP addresses. You can send information through the router to other computers in your house as well.

Basically instead of this:
notthistu4.jpg

Make it like this:
butthisbi5.jpg

And any router will do, really, but I would recommend a Linksys. I've been using my Linksys for years without a hitch, and it has all the features I'd need. Here's a good one that's not too expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom