AHHH hard drive booting prioty/detection problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default AHHH hard drive booting prioty/detection problems

Ok my mothers computer has gone wierd after working fine, it's an AMD Athlon 3500+ , 2.5GBs DDR-400, Foxconn 939 board, 4 year old WD Caviar 250GB win XP Home SP3. Anyway it had a disk read error after verifying DMI Pool Data, then actually booted into windows but as it was loading blue screened. I am wondering whether the hard disk is going bad :/

Anyway what I WANTED to do was plug it (the potentially bad hard disk) into my PC and copy the important data across, format the "bad" had disk and copy the data across.

However when I plug it into my PC depending on which SATA data cable I plug in it either: tries to boot to windows XP, or give me a disk mgr problem and wont boot any OS.

I have tried changing the boot order in the BIOS but my pc's hard drive isn't even detected just the "bad" one. I have also changed the jumpers to no avail.

help very much appreicated

Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: AHHH hard drive booting prioty/detection problems

Go to the Western Digital site and download the appropriate Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility for your PC.

WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS
Closed Thread