agp radeon x1650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieo

Baseband Member
so i bought a new video card. a 512mb ati radeon x1650 pro agp card and i can notice a small change from my old on. and ati radeon 9600se but when i go and play games like world of warcraft i get a worse FPS with this one. i updated my driver and everything but nothing seems to help. anyone have a solution?

Don't know if this is your problem man, but I have an Radeon 1900gt and had a lot of problems with low fps in BF2142... After trying driver updates, adware removal, virus checks, shutting down startup programs that might conflict, and numerous other things, I opened up my case and thought hmm... Maybe its hot... Sure enough (even with 3 fans, the video card was getting hot and making system hot as well)... Point being, open up your case and stick a floor fan next to it on high and play your game... If you get much better FPS then heat is your problem... Good luck!

thanks for the imput but no its not a heat issue. while the video hard is hot it does not feel too hot were the heat would affect it and i did put a fan up to it and it did not change my fps. thank you for the imput though helps me narrow down the problem because i do not think that my old video card should get me better fps than the new one i bought.

No problem..

what about ram?? How much do you have?? 2 gigs is probably recommended

back to heat again... make sure your processor, video card, and hard drive aren't too hot... Any one of them CAN and WILL slow down FPS...

defrag hard drive, run adaware, run virus software

update your video card drivers,etc

try different resolutions (make sure your monitor is compatable with the settings you are using)...

umm...

i have 1gig ram
nothing seems to be that heat would be causing the issue.
i will defrag my comp and run antivir/adware and see f that has any effect.

and also when i open up something like a video or a game it lags for a bit then it seems to smooth out.

Honestly 1 gig of ram is bare bones for games now a days... I had 1 gig about a month ago on BF2142 and I had some similar problems (maybe from the only 1 gig or ram and/or the heat)... So I advise adding another gig... Check out newegg or somewhere for some (probably $50)....

Another thought... Did you turn off all non-major background programs before gaming??? Go to RUN and type MSCONFIG and click STARTUP (tab)... Look at everything that doesn't have HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft in the location line... If it isn't need then disable it... If you are unsure, leave it going or google the name...

could it be my power supply holding my video card back maybe? i never had a problem with it before but since my old video card was only a 128 mb and didnt need power supply support it ran fin maybe since my new one is a 512 mb its sapping alot of power from my power supply? i think i have a 350w what do you suggest i get a 600w?

I have an 256mb Radeon 1900gt it sucks out like 400w (I have 500w Power supply)... So yes, a 600w or so probably would be good... Check the power consumption for that card...

ok thanks for the info i will have to order one online cause there really expensive in store. what kind of power supply would you recommend? and how can i check my video cards consumptiom. and i also checked to see if it was a game issue but was not i tested it on several other games cs 1.6 being one and i got about 60fps while on my old card i got around 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom