after updating BIOS my OS won't boot - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I had some problems with conflicting device drivers and on a support forum of one of the devices I got the advice to update my motherboard BIOS.
I did that using the Asus tool which automatically updated the BIOS from the web. After that I was asked to restart my PC, and I did that, but now my Windows XP won't boot. Screen is stuck on balc with a cursor flashing but nothing happens.

I have no clues how to solve this, I hope some one can help me.

Thanks,
Lars

I have been trying to save a new BIOS file onto a floppy disk from a different PC, but the problem is, after unzipping any og those bios files the are about 2MB and there is onlt 1.44MB on my floppys, so I can't fit any of them on the floppy.

At this point I have really no idea how to fix this, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lars

I just decided to try resetting the BIOS to where it was before (default), so I disconnected the PC from power, opened it and removed the little battery on the motherboard. Now I will wait for a few minutes and reinstall the battery.
Should this fix the problem and undo my BIOS update (which aparently loaded a BIOS that does not work?)?

Thanks,
Lars

EDIT: this did not help :(

Flashing your bios will often reset all the settings to their Default settings. Make sure your Primary Hard Drive is still set as the 1st Boot Device. You also need to make sure the Hard Drive Controller is still set to the same mode that was used when installing Windows. As in IDE, AHCI or Raid.

Flashing your bios will often reset all the settings to their Default settings. Make sure your Primary Hard Drive is still set as the 1st Boot Device. You also need to make sure the Hard Drive Controller is still set to the same mode that was used when installing Windows. As in IDE, AHCI or Raid.

Thank you very much.

How can I check the settings of the Hard Drive controller?
I don't evne know anymore what the setting was. Can I damage anytihng by trying different ones?

I don't know if this is of importance, but I do have 3 harddrives, tow of which are in a RAID configuration, but the OS is on the other one which in in in a RAID set up.

You can have the Controller set to RAID and still use a drive that is not in a RAID configuration. But you cannot have the controller set to IDE or AHCI and use any drives that are RAIDed. So you'll need to enter your bios and go to the "Main" Tab. Once you are in the "Main" Tab look for the setting labeled "Storage Configuration". You want to set the "Storage Configuration" to RAID.

You can try the other Storage Configuration Settings as they will not damage anything.

You can have the Controller set to RAID and still use a drive that is not in a RAID configuration. But you cannot have the controller set to IDE or AHCI and use any drives that are RAIDed. So you'll need to enter your bios and go to the "Main" Tab. Once you are in the "Main" Tab look for the setting labeled "Storage Configuration". You want to set the "Storage Configuration" to RAID.

You can try the other Storage Configuration Settings as they will not damage anything.

Thank you !

I got the problem solved. Win is booting again.

I had it already set as RAID, but what was wrong was that the two RAID drives were selected as Drive 1 and the other drive with the OS on it was selected as drive 2. When I turned this around, it all worked again.

Thanks again!

Just to make sure: I do leave the Storage config. at RAID, even if only two of my 3 HDs are in a RAID configuration. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom