After so many problems, wont BOOT now! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default After so many problems, wont BOOT now!

All right here is the deal. About 2-3 years ago I bought and assembled my first PC. Its been holding up fine. Now over the past 2 months I had a nice logitech mouse that has been dying on me(wondering if this might play a role). Now a little before that started happening, whenever I would run various games or lots of media running at once, the computer would give me a serious of warning beeps, but never did anything, besides the occasional blue screen error. So it came to the point where I had to format because I had a system file missing. So I formated and everything, yet I still got those beeps. Well just last week I began having a problem booting the computer with the keyboard and mouse connected. sometimes it would boot with them connected, and then just freeze a few minutes into windows. So now all most everytime I try to boot up I have to take out and reset the cmos battery. I also turned off beeps in the abit setup so I didnt have to deal with it. Well sometimes it would last a while, sometimes not and my comp would just shut down. Well while going through this process the other day, the computer just stopped booting. When I turn it on I get no monitor feed and it starts this like 5-6 second period of long beeps, then waits about 6 seconds, and restarts the beeps again. SOOOOOO.... is this something I can fix myself? Or is it a hardware issue. I heard it might be a keyboard problem which I'm praying it right. I have also heard that my cpu may have fried(comp does need a good cleaning) Or that my power supply just went out(which would make sense with various equipment not working and the computer randomly shutting off)
I installed all the correct drivers I believe when I formatted. Didnt download a bios or anything, or flash it that I can remember, I have always had trouble dealing with fancy tech stuff with my mobo. Btw its a Abit NI8-SLI. thats all I can remember right now. Anyyywhooo... please if anyone has any feedback let me know. Thanks guys!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: After so many problems, wont BOOT now!

Usually a long bios beep means problems with the gpu or ram.

Reseat both.
Check power connections.

Do you have any of the stop codes from the blue screens?

Do you have another keyboard mouse combo to check?

recheck all connections in computer.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I tried booting without the keyboard and mouse, but still the same problem. I also reseated well....everything, but that didnt fix it. The beep isnt a long been, its like a long serious of long beeps for about 10 seconds or so, then breaks for a few seconds, and then again.
one thing I remember that could be important. I had my side case fans plugged into its own connecter, but I noticed it wasnt working so I switched it with the top fan, to find out that the one plug wasnt working. So I joined the side case fan onto a connection shared by the cd drive and the top case fan. Could it possibly be too much running from just one connecter? I didnt think it would matter, but its a possibility I guess....maybe?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

cut the machine down to just gpu cpu and ram and see if you can get into bios.

remove power from case fans, cd and hard drives to see what happens.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

are you sure it is only one long beep and no short beeps follow it? thats odd. check your CPU fan connection and make sure it is properly seated.

EDIT ok i see you say "a series of long beeps" how many beeps are in the series? usually long continuous beeps means RAM not installed correctly, bad RAM, or the RAM is incompatible. basically, a RAM problem lol.