after shutdown, sometimes won't start back up (desktop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zas123

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a gateway e-1500d pc (windows xp, 2005) off craigslist. It started up just fine, ran a little slow. After about a week it started intermediately turning on. If I leave it be for a while, its pretty much a much higher chance of start up (I found that if I use a grounded outlet my success rate goes up and I'm living in a 20's house with few grounded outlets).

I already bought ram for it, and it was having some issues accepting both sticks but I think it was an installation error. It loaded fine when I've been testing it with one of the old sticks and one of the new sticks (except I didn't have the mouse or keyboard plugged in on load up and it didn't pick them up / recognize those utilities until so I shut it down (windows logged off, shut down properly) but even with a grounded outlet it wouldn't fire back up when I hit the button.

When the case is removed and I hit the power button, it will apply enough power to overcome the friction force to get the fans to initially start, but they immediately cut out. I'm hoping it isn't the mobo. I think I've made sure all the connectors are
in the right spot.

I used to be pretty geeky so I know how to open up a computer, replace some stuff. I ordered a replacement 300 W psu off amazon and it should be here saturday but I was hoping I'd have some advice by then. I'm just really hoping it isn't the mobo cause I have 0 experience with mother boards haha.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend never using any desktop computer on anything other than a grounded outlet (I actually thought ATX power supply standards required one or the PSU wouldn't respond). Ensure that the CPU HSF is installed correctly and any add on cards are firmly secured, remove the memory, attempt to power on the computer and describe what occurs when you do so. Any beeps? Does it stay powered?

I replaced the PSU with a diablotec and it still isn't working. I'm using a monster power filter, and the led in the front comes on but the fan's aren't powering on at all anymore.

Is this with what I suggested?

sorry Nitestick, I didn't see that response. when I wrote mine I was just doing an update and didn't even see your response till just now.

it was using a grounded outlet (hooked it up to a stage 2 monster power conditioner as well), i'm 99% sure all the connections and ad-ons are secure.

after I get home I'll look up google what the heck a CPU HSF is and how to make sure it is installed correctly, unless you wanna get a little more detailed on it to make sure i've got the correct information.

I'll remove the memory and try to power it on. when it was still at least attempting to power on when the memory removed, it made a specific beeping noise so I know what to listen for when I attempt it again. if it doesn't make any beeping noises anymore, than hopefully that narrows down what the heck is wrong.

thanks.

Diablotek is one of the worst power supplies you can buy.

If it's not the Power Supply it's probably the motherboard.

Diablotek is one of the worst power supplies you can buy.

If it's not the Power Supply it's probably the motherboard.

Ugh. That explains why it was only $13 on amazon. :dead:

If it is the motherboard, I'm thinking options would be either to:
-replace the motherboard with something compatible off ebay or the same one off ebay (so I didn't have to replace video card, memory, etc..). I'm not sure how to determine motherboard to video card and other components I'd have to replace compatibility. Could someone point me towards a thread so I could read up on that?
-replace the motherboard and other components (can it be overhauled and replace all necessary components for under $50?)
-buy a whole new desktop (are there are reliable towers that include all necessary components AND an OS (hopefully windows)) for say under $50 from newegg, ebay, etc.. my problem is I keep wasting money on craigslist computers and they aren't too trust-worthy. I feel like ebay / anything used is too much of a risk and I'm wasting money.

I don't know much about other OS', and I wouldn't be too against changing over to something else, but its for my roommate who is not at all tech-savvy and probably wouldn't be able to learn anything unconventional too quickly. Also I don't know how much of an issue there is with getting peripherals to become compatible with random free OS'. I mean, most components have trouble enough when being upgraded to different versions of windows (or they have in the past from personal experience) so unless they've changed that..

And I did check the mobo for bulging and leaky capacitors and there weren't any at all that even seemed a little bit abnormal.

Thanks again guys for answering my questions and making comments to help learn me in the ways of tech.

Funny you should ask. I have two systems sitting around here that are just that, sitting around. They were previously my grandpa's, but he no longer uses them, so I cleaned them up. One has XP, while the other has Vista. I don't use them nor need them. I was planning to put them up on craigslist. Would this help you?

I recommend never using any desktop computer on anything other than a grounded outlet (I actually thought ATX power supply standards required one or the PSU wouldn't respond). Ensure that the CPU HSF is installed correctly and any add on cards are firmly secured, remove the memory, attempt to power on the computer and describe what occurs when you do so. Any beeps? Does it stay powered?

I made sure everything was firmly secured, removed the memory, and the LED's were getting power (connected thru the mobo thru 2-pin connectors at the bottom of the mobo) but the fan only got power once when attempting to start. No beeping noises either. Somewhere there is a break in power or something.
As for the heatsink fan, I don't remember messing with the cables or anything but all the cables are connected to something. If the heatsink fan is malfunctioning, would the processor recognize this and keep the computer from booting up?

And not to say it isn't a fine computer you're selling, but I'd prefer something with at least a 90 day warranty or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom