After replacing CPU fan, computer won't load BIOS? Please help!

Zparx

Solid State Member
I ordered a new silent fan because my old one was a bit noisy. Upon replacement, I did a few things that would probably lead some of you to stone me to death, so please forgive me as I explain!: The new fan was not compatible with my motherboard, so I hot-wired the old fan's connector piece to the wires of the new fan. I decided to turn on the computer to see if it had worked. To my surprise, the fan started up no problem! BUT, realizing I'd neglected to put everything back in place, I panicked, thinking that my CPU would melt. So I hurriedly unplugged the power cord from the power supply unit (not from the wall socket, from the actual PSU). I thoroughly cleaned my CPU and its heat sink of the old thermal paste and applied new, put everything back into place, made sure everything was securely connected, and tried powering the PC on. This is what happens every time: It starts up and all of the fans spin, the power button lights up and everything, but the computer can't seem to load the BIOS. It leaves me at a black screen on my monitor with nothing but a flashing underscore. This continues until I forcefully shut the PC down by holding the power button down. For a further diagnosis I tried leaving the PC on to see if it would power itself off or restart, and the longest I've waited is about 5 whole minutes (I was afraid to wait any longer because I didn't want permanent damage to any components), and nothing happens. I've rewired the old fan and seated everything in place properly. Now, obviously I did something wrong, but can anyone help me solve this issue? I tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I've unplugged all USB components, my video card, and my RAM, and reconnected all. Still no luck. I checked the power cord and replaced it. Nothing. I went as far as disconnecting the power supply from the mobo and re-attaching, with no luck. I'm aware that this could be a PSU failure. Is this fixable without spending money? Should I make sure the CPU's metal bracket is more tightly installed than it already is? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
UPDATE. Please close this immediately. I've discovered today that one of my RAM chips was not properly seated. Once I reseated, the computer booted just fine. I feel like an idiot now...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom