After formatting PC the pc doesn't detect the modem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default After formatting PC the pc doesn't detect the modem

Ok so after my pc got a virus my uncle reformatted it for me but now when I plug my modem in its like it doesn't even detect it so the internet on that pc doesn't work (on my other pc right now).So I went to control panel>Add hardware wizard then I saw something called ethernet controller and it has this yellow question mark on the left of it so I tried to install it (because the modem is connected to the pc thru an ethernet cable) or w/e and it asked me if I wanted to like go on the internet to find the necessary update/drivers or something like that for it but since the pc's internet isn't even working I couldn't go on the internet so it said it couldn't find the necessary drivers/files or w/e.

My pc is a pretty old pc its an Antec Outside, intel pentium 4 (manufacturer is Antec) anyways could anyone help me please it would be greatly appreciated if something could find me the solution or find me the necessary driver/drivers so the pc can detect the modem.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: After formatting PC the pc doesn't detect the modem

Hello,

Is your PC custom built or retail purchased?

If you don't know the components of your computer, use a system information tool (such as PC Wizard 2008) to identify the manufacturer and model of your Ethernet adapter.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm pretty sure its retail.

Here's a few stickers on the front of the pc that might help.
Antec Outside
Geared by msi
Intel pentium 4
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Download CPUZ from CPUID.com, extract the application to the desktop, then run CPUZ, click on the motherboard tab and give us the motherboard model and chipset models so we can direct you to a page that should have the software for the network card.

That or find the model number of your PC, sometimes it is on the front and most of the time it will be on a sticker with the serial numbers of the pc and will also have the model number.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoun View Post
I'm pretty sure its retail.

Here's a few stickers on the front of the pc that might help.
Antec Outside
Geared by msi
Intel pentium 4
Unfortunately this isn't specific enough. To be able to identify the components by specifications you'll have to provide a manufacturer and specific model name/number. Personally, never heard of 'Antec Outside' - I think it refers to the outside (i.e. case) being made by Antec.

Use a system information tool like Everest Free Edition or Belarc Advisor to identify the make and model of your devices.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
Download CPUZ from CPUID.com, extract the application to the desktop, then run CPUZ, click on the motherboard tab and give us the motherboard model and chipset models so we can direct you to a page that should have the software for the network card.

That or find the model number of your PC, sometimes it is on the front and most of the time it will be on a sticker with the serial numbers of the pc and will also have the model number.
Ok thanks i'll be back in like 5 mins or less with that
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9770/mochipbq0.jpg
Here ya go this screenshot of the cpuz program it contains the pic of the motherboard tab, if you can't see just click on the zoom
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Here is a link with all the DRIVERS you should probably install onto the system, this should work for your NIC.

Download Search Results

Items 2, 3, and 7, should be downloaded and installed under the drivers section, the others don't appear to really matter.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
Here is a link with all the DRIVERS you should probably install onto the system, this should work for your NIC.

Download Search Results

Items 2, 3, and 7, should be downloaded and installed under the drivers section, the others don't appear to really matter.
THANK YOU!Thanks a lot man the pc now finally detected the modem and the internet works now i'm so happy seriously dude you are now my favorite person on the net lol (no homo) thanks to Alvin as well and Charles thanks again! Thank you a million times.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Your welcome.

Closed Thread