Adding Video Card - Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean1313

Beta member
Hi! This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me out.

I'm trying to add a ATI Rage Pro PCI video card and I am probably doing things in the wrong order and i am nervous i'll end up without any display. I did some research and since i have on-board graphics on my motherboard, i have to disable this and enable PCI graphics in BIOS. I can't find that option in BIOS. So I looked on the motherboard for a disable graphics jumper. No jumper. Then I read some motherboards auto-disable the graphics. Not sure if mine does. I believe its a Gigabyte K8VM800MAE. So Device Manager regognizes the new ATI card (i put it in PCI 1) but it says it cannot start (Code 10). So I am guessing I have to find a way to disable the on-board graphics.

Am I right?

Thanks
Sean

Acer Aspire T135
AMD Sempron 3300+
2.0 GHz
160 GB HD
256 MB DDR RAM
Gigabyte K8VM800MAE Motherboard

Windows XP Home Edition

I think your right there, but i would think it would automatically disable the on board graphics card. I've never had that problem but i would check the bios again for an option somewhere.

I looked on the Gigabyte webpage and you are right. On-board graphics are automatically disabled.

So I tried again.
In Device Manager I uninstalled the on-board graphics, shut down, and installed the ATI card in PCI 1. I connected my monitor to the new card and restarted. Monitor says no signal. I hooked the monitor back to the old output and i have display but with lower resolution than I had before (i was able to change back to proper resolution) . I went back to Device Manager and the on-board graphics was still there and the new ATI card was recognized too. In Properties it says: Device cannot start (Code 10).

Have you loaded the new drivers for the new card. Although Windows Xp would have the drivers for this you could try. The Card may be bad. So Use your onboard video with the card pluged in. Then go into the divice manager and disable the onboard video. Dont let it restart. Then install the drivers for the board. And then restart. Hey its worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom