Adding a Faulty Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper4387

Solid State Member
I bought a new computer not to long ago, because my old one just wasn't reliable anymore. It had a virus on it that I could just never get rid of. I didn't erase the hard drive though because I had files on it that I could not get rid of without backing up. However once I finally went in to back them up windows crashed completely and I cannot get in. My question now is, if I were to add the old hard drive to my new computer, would I be able to get the files off of it that I needed. Or would adding the hard drive automatically give the new one the virus. I wasn't planning on pulling the files from the old hard drive and putting them on the new one, but rather burning the files I needed onto a dvd burner.

does the hard drive make any weird noises?
if it does, then it's probabbly dead. then, the only way you could retrieve the data would involve a special lab, and a lot of money.

if not, then can you boot up in safe mode?
and what antivirus program(s) are you using?

is there still partition data on the other hard drive? if no you may have to repair that..

as for viruses .. no Unless it's a boot sector virus or you open/inquiry an infected file.

viper4387 said:
Or would adding the hard drive automatically give the new one the virus.
Bingo.

No one can say. If you know there are viruses on the drive, I would never connect it to anything else. Use an old box to grab your files off of it, then burn it.

Put the old dirve in as a slave and run your virus/spyware to check the slave for viruses etc. You can then transfer the saved data to you new drive and reformat the slave and use it for back-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom