Added a new DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Hi all.

A few months back I put a DVD R/W in my pc as the DVD drive that come with the PC was just a ROM drive. Anyway I connected the DVD drive with the connection on the IDE cable that the old DVD drive wasusing and I then used the other connection to re-connect the old DVD drive. The problem I am now having is that the new drive seems tobe a secondry drive or somthing as the old one is still getting priority over the new one even though the new drive is in the master slot on the cable. For instance when I put a CD in to rip to my pc so I can put it on an MP3 player if I use the new drive it wont recognise that a CD has been put in and asks for a music CD to be inserted but if I put it in the old drive then it will read it and start the rip. I am also having problems trying to copy files to DVD which may just be caused by the burner that comes with Vista but after this revelation I thinkit may have something to do with this issue. How can I rectify this problem?

It's the jumpers on the drives that need to be set to master and slave, there are usually 3 settings on disk drives master, slave and cable select. The only time it really matters how it's plugged into the cable is if it's set to cable sel. So pull the drives out and put the new one tomaster and the old to slave and that should fix the priority.

Dauntae

It's the jumpers on the drives that need to be set to master and slave, there are usually 3 settings on disk drives master, slave and cable select. The only time it really matters how it's plugged into the cable is if it's set to cable sel. So pull the drives out and put the new one tomaster and the old to slave and that should fix the priority.

Dauntae

I thought that the DVD was like that already as I just put the new drive where the old drive was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom