ADD IDE HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

danark

Beta member
this problem had happend to me before and i ended up just doin a full wipe and re-install OS, but I'd really like to know the fix.

short version: I installed WinXP on sata drive while a IDE hdd was connected, before i knew that the XP installer would use the IDE for booting and install system files on it also. This drive also had another install of XP that i planned on deleting once the one on my sata os was running. I'd love for my install on my sata not have to rely on files on the ide to boot, without a clean wipe and fresh install.

A friend gave me another ide drive for more space. My origional ide is set as master, and the new drive is slave on the same ide slot on my MB. For some reason when i go to boot xp, i get an error saying that my drive configuration is incorrect. I tried changing the HDD boot priority in bios with no luck. Setting the sata drive first just gives me a "insert system disk", and setting it above the new ide i get the first message of check your device configuration. Can I stop windows from checking the new hdd for system files on boot?

after boot i can plug in the new ide hdd and use it. I dare not edit boot config files blindly:cool:

Any advice would greatly be appriciated :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom