ADD 2nd DVD Drive ; Jumper Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
The more I read , the more flustered. (reading from CNet, HP site, TigerDirect, other forums)

I'm removing a CD-Rom Drive , and adding a 2nd DVD burner which is much newer, and faster than current HP DVD burner that still works fine.

Thinking I should first "uninstall" the CDRom in System Manager.
But then ?

One source says that faster writer should be master on the IDE cable , leaving existing writer to be changed to "slave". Will I run into BIOS settings being changed there?

Other sources say leave all devices set on "Cable Select", and go with that. .... still put faster drive at end of cable ?? (master conncector)

I may be sweating it too much....but have ALWAYS run into glitches when adding anything, and had need to call on personal guru to help. Holdiay times , and would rather not bother him.

Should it be simple to do?

yep its very simple. you dont need your drives to be on the primary channels if you dont have them free. but if you primary ide channel is free then sure hook up the roms to the primary channel.

so you want to put you new dvd burner first then put you cd rom second on the cable. the jumpers on the dvd burner should be master and the cd rom should be set on slave. and i think thats all you have to do because cd/dvd roms do not require drivers.

To clarify , CDRom is being removed. I've since found that both the CDRom and current HP DVD burner are on the secondary IDE channel , with XP drive and extra 80g drive on primary.
I'm wanting to replace the CDRom with a 2nd DVDburner drive , on the secondary IDE cable.
Just wondered about master, slave, and Cable Select options for the drives.

Okay speed of the burner doesn't actually matter, so that junk you can just forget about. It's just people making it more complicated than needed.

You can do it two ways, either put both burners to cable select and hook them to the cable, and it'll configure itself.

Or set one to master and put it on the end of the cable (not sure if cable end is actually required, but it's good form either way) and set the other one to slave and put it on the inside connecter.

Windows will automatically set up and install the burners properly, though I do recommend checking the manufactuars website for updated firmware.

From reading your post I'm not sure if you realise this or not, but a jumper setting refers to a small plastic piece connecting two pins on the back of your drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom